SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crrand

Kwintus (Early Riser) beans did not germinate

crrand
15 years ago

I like to grow flat podded pole beans and so last year I planted Kwintus beans that I ordered from Park Seeds. They had a very poor germination rate and less than half of the beans germinated. This may have been due to the dry conditions last year. I'm trying them again this year and thought that I'd pre-sprout the beans to just plant the ones that are viable. In preparation, I tested 3 beans to see how long it takes them to sprout. I'm using the coffee filter method and it's been a week and a half. The beans are plumped, but there is no sign of a sprout. I thought beans would sprout faster than that. Has anyone had poor germination results with this variety from Park Seeds? Last year I planted them on June 1 and tried to fill in the blank spots by planting additional beans 3 weeks later, so I'm pretty sure the ground was warm. Any ideas anyone? I've had better success in the past with Romano pole beans, but they don't crop until September here in Minnesota and I've had instances where an early frost wiped out most of my harvest.

Thanks, Chris

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz