SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roclibrarian

foundation planting -- size advice

roclibrarian
13 years ago

I've just had a line of very tall leggy looking arborvitaes removed from the front of my house because the roots were invasive and were eating into our pipe system on the side of the house.

I'm sort of in shock at how bare the house looks now. And as you can see we need to paint the window frame since it has been hiding unloved behind the bushes for so long. Now that I can actually see the bottom window, I also plan to put shutters on it that match the top ones.

{{gwi:44450}}

I'd love to plant flowers in the front (purple coneflowers in particular are really lovely in the summers here) because it is one of the only spots in my yard that gets sun. However, I also want to plant something that will stay green in the winter since our upstate winters are just so intensely white.

This is my first house, so I'm still a bit of a newbie at landcape. I love to garden though and have filled my back yard with rhodies and peonies and all sorts of goodies.

For the front, I am interested in pee wee oak leaf hydrangeas and also red sprite winterberry bushes for color. However, I'm not totally sure how much space they need. I would like for our new bushes not to cover and block the front windows the way the old ones did. I'm also concerned about the winterberry because I know I would need a male bush but can't find any decent pictures of the male bushes and don't know how big they would get.

Anyhow, here are a few of my ideas. Do any of them seem plausible?

In this photo: coneflowers, red twig dogwood, hydrangea, red twig dogwood, coneflowers

{{gwi:44453}}

In this photo: coneflowers, winterberry, hydrangea, winterberry, coneflowers

{{gwi:44455}}

Feel free to suggest other plants and ideas I might not have thought of yet.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths