SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Designing loose shrub border along fence

acw2355
12 years ago

Am starting to plan and buy shrubs for a loose border along side the fence of a problematic neighbor. I plan the back row of evergreen/conifers to be apporx. 6-8 feet.

The site is to the south as I face it, meaning the plants will be facing north and getting sun from behind and above? There is a fare bit of sun exposure during the day, direct sun from 9 am to about 3 pm. Then it is in open shade. Across the street are Doug firs which cast shade in the afternoon.

I am leaning towards a mixed/layered border of evergreens, natives, and exotics. But oh the choices! I am overwhelmed.

I'm thinking I need help with choosing conifers/evergreens for the back row.

I am collecting a few plants here and there to plant in the fall. I already have two Hydrangea 'Limelight' which I would like to work in. I also have a few different rhodies I would like to incorporate in. Those are supposed to grow to max. 4-5 feet, so perhaps in front of the taller shrubs.

I also have some Ceanothus 'Victoria' which I could use or use elsewhere (I am on a 1/2-acre).

Some plants that come to mind that I know will do well in our area are Nandina 'Moyers Red', Camellias, Mahonias, and the usual evergreens one buys at the big box stores.

As you will see in the photos there is a holly tree which casts some shade. There are two smaller shrubs which I would love to pull out but cannot because of the neighbor. She claims that her family had put up the tree and shrubs years before she put up the white fence. All this was years before we purchased our house. Still, I don't want to create more problems so I won't take out the tree for now but will work with it. The shrubs are forsythia which she clips from her side of the fence.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

{{gwi:44373}}

{{gwi:44376}}

Comments (13)