SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19697693

Too much dry shade!

User
11 years ago

My garden along the back fence frustrates me to no end! There is a 25 foot tall zelkova tree in the center, a pine tree in one corner and two birches in the other, and they keep growing. It gets dappled sun but is very dry. Two thirds of my garden is now dry because of those dang trees, but we do like the shade of the zelkova.

I want to hide the fence but the perennials are one to two feet tall and probably stunted because of the root competition. I think I need some shrubs or understory trees in place of some of the perennials. What can you suggest for larger-sized dry shade lovers?

I need a colorful focal point in place of the hydrangea. I'm going to move it to my moist part-shade bed along the foundation because it's slow growing and I don't think it will ever reach its full potential of 4-5 feet. I also need a focal point in the curved center section. I have just started working on the left side of that garden. It's in deeper shade but gets late afternoon sun in August and then everything burns. I bought a boxleaf honeysuckle 'Edmee Gold' in spring--they grow 2-3 feet tall. I can move it anywhere. I'm thinking I should have bought two more and grouped them. I'm happy with the area under the birches, where the birdbath is, with a few minor tweaks.

We'll be adding compost and moving everything in the fall. We're in Oregon and plants establish well during our mild, wet winter. Is it possible to have an attractive, healthy garden along this fence or is it a losing battle?

Thank you for giving my garden some thought!

Comments (27)