SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendravicknair

Need help with slope, swale, lawn transition

kendravicknair
9 years ago

I have a nearly blank slate and am at a complete loss as to what to do with it. We weren't sure how to deal with swale that the builder created around the house, so we just had him put gravel in it, thinking that maybe it could function as a path. Right now it just looks odd. The strawed level area on this side of the swale, where I took the picture from, will be sodded in a couple weeks. We know we would like to plant some mixed evergreens and deciduous trees, etc... on the hill for some privacy from the neighbors (their house in the picture). We know we don't want it to look like a screen, but more like the natural woods around it. But I'm not sure what exactly to plant or where. And what to do with the swale/gravel/path? This was three pictures that I stitched together. If separate photos (or different photos) are more helpful, please let me know.

Other factors:
-We do have deer frequently grazing around the house, so that is a consideration in anything we plant.
-The boulders in the picture are probably not movable, at least not without a bulldozer.

Comments (7)