SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlefatcat_gw

Need Help Selecting Plants

littlefatcat
15 years ago

Hello, everyone:

We recently removed all our lawn in our backyard. We've created some beds, amended the soil, and installed the sprinkler system. Now I'm trying to decide what to plant. I was hoping some of you wonderful gardeners might have a few suggestions.

We are in Lodi, California (Hardiness zone 9, Sunset zone 14).

The view in the pictures is from my patio facing east. The area that gets the most sun throughout the day is shown in the upper left corner above the small flagstone patio. I was thinking about planting a Smoke Tree there (Cotinus coggygria), either Royal Purple or Grace. Whatever I put there can't be too tall because there are power lines above.

The rose that is in the center near the fence is Clair Matin. I am thinking about moving it to the right (upper right in picture). It is a climbing rose which I would like to train on some sort of support on the fence. This will leave a long area of fence which will need something planted in front of it.

There is a japanese maple to the right. This area is in the shade most of the day.

Not shown in the picture of my yard, but appearing in the diagram is a Diana hibiscus syriacus. I have pruned it to a single-trunk tree. I have placed it there because it blocks my neighbor's bedroom window.

My largest concern is what to plant in the center island. I would like some sort of taller focal plant which doesn't overpower the view of what is eventually planted behind it. I plan to put a bird bath in the island area.

I would like to plant for year-round interest. I love flowers, but still want the yard to look decent in the winter. I am thinking maybe the purple smoke tree with some golden breath of heaven planted in front? I am not confident with my color schemes. I like lavender and purple, but the Clair Matin roses are a salmon color. If I use golden breath of heaven, they would introduce yellow to the garden.

The walkways will be flagstone. I was thinking about planting elfin thyme in between? Will the thyme grow in the shadier areas. Are weeds a huge problem between the rocks?

To explain my diagram a little: The tan areas a Arizona flagstone. Most of the planting areas get a good deal of sun throughout the day except the right side where the Japanese maple is located. There is a little planter surrounded by stone off the patio on this side as well.

The small somewhat comma-shaped area on the right of the larger patio is part shade.

Anyway, just thought I'd post my diagram and pasted-together yard picture here...no my fence isn't really falling down, my photo editing makes it look that way :) As you can see, I have lots of questions. I have been pondering on this a whole lot. I think I need some advice! Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may have!

{{gwi:43762}}

{{gwi:43763}}

Comments (10)