SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

Will this garden work?

lschibley
16 years ago

Hi all,

As a preface, I only have 3 years experience with gardening in New England, so my knowledge is mostly book based. I am very open to someone telling me what will work and what won't since I really am new to most of the plants on my list. I have created a map on grid paper with all the plant sizes at maturity drawn. I like a crowded garden and all these plants fit on paper. The question is, what will it look like in real life.

I am installing the new garden next week...the guys are coming up to rip out the lawn and put down topsoil on Monday...so I need to start making some final decisions.

The garden is 36'(n-s) x 16'(e-w) in full sun, sandy but amended soil; they are putting down 6 inches of top soil to mix in. There is one small crab apple at the north end of the area. The area is bounded by driveway on the east and south side, street on the north side, and an existing garden on the west side. The existing garden is a perennial garden with focus on butterfly plants. I'm putting some steppers down to make a path lengthwise through the garden so I will have access. The path basically is between the new and old garden.

Here are the items on my plant list and on my plotted plan. But who knows if they will all fit in real life. BTW, I have found all of these plants in a local nursery, though I will be saving some to buy in the spring to make the cost factor less.

Large plants: (I've listed these in order of placement, south to north, though staggered front (near driveway) and back (near path) of course)

Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' or 'Beaver Creek' (back)

Purple Beautyberry Chamelaucium uncinatum ÂPurple Pride (front)

Caryopteris x clandonensis First Choice (back)

Purpleleaf Sandcherry (Prunus x cistena) (middle)

Spiraea nipponica 'Snowmound' (front)

Picea omorika 'Nana' Dwarf Serbian spruce (back)

(middle)

Cotoneaster salicifolius 'Scarlet Leader' (back)

Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea 'Crimson Pygmy' (front)

Smaller plants:

Cedrus deodara 'Prostrate Beauty'

Juniper procumbus 'Nana'

Baptisia australis Blue False Indigo

Carex testacea 'Orange New Zealand Sedge'

Sedum 'Purple Emperor'

Monarda didyma 'Bee Balm'

These will be fill-ins. They are the plants in the existing perennial border that I like and I want to include a few for continuity. But will only use them if there is space.

Creeping Phlox

May Night Salvia

Verbena bonariensis

Catmint

Artemisia

Achillea millefolium 'Summerwine' yarrow

New England Aster

Butterfly Weed

Blanket Flower

Sedum Autum Joy

Black Eyed Susan

Coneflower

Well I think that is it. I would appreciate and thoughts, feedback or criticism. Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Comments (8)