SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Installing fountain water feature with water supply or not?

jaxo
10 years ago

I'm having a patio redone using flagstone and before the flagstone is put down, I need to decide whether or not a water line should be run to the location of a new vase/pot fountain designed to look as it is constantly overflowing with water so the reservoir would keep filled automatically. It won't add that much cost compared to the total cost of the work done, but I still wonder if it would be worth it.
Even though it would be more convenient to never have to fill the fountain manually with a hose, I wonder about the safety/reliability of having water pressure on all the time that would feed the fountain. If there was some kind of failure of the float that stops the water from continuously filling, it could flood the patio when I'm away. It may be just more complexity and more things to break.
On the other hand it would be nice to not have to refill the water that evaporates away. I have never had a fountain before so I have no idea how often I would have to keep adding water and if I forgot to refill the water by hand and it went dry, I assume the pump would be damaged if it was running with no water.
Anyone have experience with pros and cons of manual refilling vs having a waterline pressurized to refill constantly?

Comments (15)