SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigfoot839

WANTED: apology

bigfoot839
16 years ago

i would like to apologize if i made an error in offering envelopes for seeds the other day alot of nice peep offered to trade and today i got a message that quoted me the rules on trading said if i had nothing to trade to wait till i did i thought i did offer a trade guess it wasn't acceptable so i wanted to appologize if i offended any one

Comments (23)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I assumed that was okay also. I read a post the other day from a lady that said if you had nothing to trade then you should offer to print seed envelopes and trade those, which I had never thought of. I thought it was a good idea since if you are new to gardening you wouldn't have anything to trade. It's kind of like looking for a job fresh out of high school and everyone is looking for experience. How are you supposed to get experience if everyone only hires people with experience? Don't feel bad I got the "message" because I posted a question about needing help with my flower beds on this forum. I thought this would be the perfect forum to ask this question on because everyone here has established flower beds and has been so helpful to me in offering seeds and answering questions. The people I have dealt with on this forum have been exceptionally nice and totally generous and seem to take gardening the way I think it should be taken : as a hobby, a lot of fun, a stress reliever, a source of enjoyment, and a way to share and give back something of themselves. Not like what I consider "high society" gardeners. I guess the "forum police" take their jobs seriously which can be a good thing if not taken to extremes. I guess it's all in the way you look at it and everyone has their own opinion. And you know what they say about those.

• graanieb
    16 years ago

Bigfoot, I believe PostPolice may be outnumbered 9:1 by the silent ones who approve of your approach.

Stick with what's feeling right, if the moderators don't complain, go ahead and have a good time.

Graanie Bea

• Related Discussions

WANTED: To Apologize to anyone who received a pink banana ....

Q

Comments (5)
    I think we've all "been there, done that". We get so excited about trading for something we don't have that we trade off starts of new plants before we've even grown them. I've learned to be more patient now. I'm an avid daylily collector and it's important that my plants be accurately IDed before I trade them to someone else. So I don't trade my plants anymore unless I've seen them bloom (or grow) and took pictures of them and then researched them to be sure they were correctly IDed by the source from which I received them. So many of my first daylilies were misnamed. And I traded them under those names, disappointing other traders. But when you know better, you do better, right? Thank you for stepping up to the plate and owning your mistake. Cannas, one of my favorite plants, really are a nice substitution for a banana. Maybe your traders weren't too disappointed.
    ...See More

WANTED: have-apology to my trade buddies

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi there-sa Welcome to Gardenweb. It is a great place to learn more about gardening. You answered to a posting that I put up because I have trade commitments with people right now and I wanted to make sure that I didn't leave anyone out after I was having internet problems. What you want to do is log-in and go to the top of the page. There you will see Post a Message. Click on that and then you are ready to post your own messages. I would love to be your local garden buddy/walking workout pal but I live on the West Coast of BC. The walk would take me forever just to get to your place. LOL(means laugh out loud) Hope this was helpful.
    ...See More

WANTED: Apology

Q

Comments (2)
    Horsetail, I didn't trade with you, but I have made the same mistake-saving what I thought was the seed but wasn't. There is so much to learn- but I think that is part of why people love it-they are always learning/ experiencing something new. I would like to trade with you. I'll send you a great starter pack so you'll have lots to trade for next year! Let me know if your interested. Growjo
    ...See More

WANTED: Apology for being late

Q

Comments (3)
    My goodness Michelle...apologizing, and you were the one that missed out on all the swapping hehe. Don't be silly! I am just sorry that you didn't get to participate more. See you in the spring though! Susan
    ...See More
  • bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks to both as i said i am new to seed collecting so i found somthing to trade to get started lol i have read alot here and learned alot from the post seem to be alot of nice people here and i hope to get to know more of you

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks to both as i said i am new to seed collecting so i found somthing to trade to get started lol i have read alot here and learned alot from the post seem to be alot of nice people here and i hope to get to know more of you

• michelleleematthews
    16 years ago

No need to apologize to anyone Bigfoot. I have seen several on here who have not had seeds nor plants to trade and have offered plastic baggies, envelopes, etc. as trades and nothing has ever been said.

If you will email me your mailing addres, I would gladly send you some Zinnia seeds (there is chaff (?) in them as it is hard for me to properly get the junk from the goodies). I think I may still have some cucumber and some okra seeds available and plenty of birdhouse gourd seeds to share. You can also take a look at my trade list and see if there is anything you'd be interested in. No need to send me anything, just email me with what you'd like and your mailing address and I'll get them out the end of this upcoming week. We had alot of flooding here (Oklahoma) and I have lost alot of my flowers but still have enough seeds left to share.

• darlene87
    16 years ago

If you contact me, I can send seeds of flowers and some veggies, have to see what I have.
    Darlene

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

I might be able to send you some seeds also. What were you looking for? E-mail me at lauriegarris@yahoo.com

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Hi Bigfoot839,
    Odd..it never occured to me that offering envies (which everyone uses) wouldn't be kosher here. Seems that Mary, who had suggested this specificly, was of the same mind. I guess maybe that kind of trade "officially" belongs in the Garden Exchange, rather than the seed exchange?

It would definately have to be acceptable over there..."all things garden". That forum doesn't get as much traffic as this one. I personally don't check it as often as here, but still do on a regular basis.

In fact, I offered someone a bunch of seeds over there for envies a while back and havent' heard from them....

Definately post it there, bigfoot. You'll get responses, and it has to be okay...people are trading birdhouses for plants and such, that's what it's about, can't be different than envies for seeds. Link is below.

See ya' over there :)
    --Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Exchange

• mrs_seeders_husband
    16 years ago

something else you might want to do.. go buy some seeds on ebay or at the store or nursery. I did the ebay thing, that's how I have so many to trade. I am also very new to gardening and I'm like addicted to growing things now since I use to have a 'black thumb' and couldn't even look at a plant too long it would die LOL. I know it costs money to get the seeds, but you can get some to start.

• hoptownracer1
    16 years ago

I was'nt aware that it was inappropriate to ask to trade envelopes for seeds either, as I have done it in the past also. I don't understand why it would be a big deal, as it seems like those who were'nt interested, would just move onto another posting. But I do know there are a lot of kind people on this site, and they are constantly offering SASE offers to newbies and other members, so that is a great way to get a variety of seeds for your garden. Plus, when your flowers produce seeds, you can use those to trade or offer SASE offers to others, and then also to use for your garden the following year. They have also helped me to learn what certain seeds look like, how to harvest them and how certain seeds need to be planted. I am very grateful to all the sweet people on this site who have shared their garden seeds with me and traded with me. It has always been a pleasant experience, and I hope all of your experiences will be pleasant also. You have email.

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

email me I have some extras to share also.
    Melanie

• tessa74
    16 years ago

Proudgm, i never understood about the "experience" issue either.

Bigfoot, Very Big of you to offer an apology, but i don't see a need for one. A whole mess of people here start out with nothing to trade but envies, baggies, stamps, etc. Some might frown upon the mention of "stamps", but hey, it helps cover the cost of the baggies. Anywho, if you're still looking for veggie seeds, check out my list. i've got lots of stuff. just send a sasbe. Have a great one! Jenn

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wish to thank every one that has emailed me i really appreciate the kindness of every one this isn't like alot of forums i have seen and joined in the past where it is like a newbie isn't welcome. You folks make even a newbie feel welcome. Sure am hoping my son will pick up on seed saving also not looking for much from him yet though as he is only 7 but loves to grow (and eat) his own veggies
    Again thanks for all your kindness and i hope soon to have some veggie seeds and flower seeds to trade with all of you (seems my land lord only likes to plant hybrids in his garden and i am really scared of what i will get from those)
    Shoan

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Shoan~
    Please don't let a few grumpy oldies discourage you from trading. Evidently there are a few folks that like to pick on the newbies, and honestly think they are doing them a "favor" by telling them how they are messing up.
    You didn't do anything wrong, you offered what you had. That's the point of trading.
    I see that you have "met" a few of the nicest people here....everyone that has answered this post!
    I hope that everyone has made you feel welcome. Just remember that the friendly outweigh the grumpy. :O)

I think it will do everyone good to remember that we were ALL newbies at some point.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i have some seeds too, i got snatched up too, it does say trade, this is the way i figure it, i am trading their extra stamps for my extra seeds, or in your case your envi's for thier seeds, in my book that is a trade. them people should just be making sure that people arent ya know doing something wrong, like really wrong, geesh!! LOL i think your just fine!! anywho email me!! :')) have a great day!!

• lakedallasmary
    16 years ago

I have to apologize too. I wouldn't think trading envelopes was not considered a trade, but if it is , I am sorry to lead anyone a stray. The rules state that trading seeds for postage is not allowed, but if anyone has so many seeds they just need to clear them out, or just wants to be nice, I could not see how giving something away would be wrong. It is not in my book. Anyway, I guess the best thing to do is read the rules, and not listen to folks, like me trying to interpret the rules.

Again, if I have ever confused anyone, I'm sorry.

Mary

• galium
    16 years ago

Several times in the past (since I've been a member of the GW) individuals have started an Adopt-A-Newbie thread. The idea was for newbies to post their seed wish list and older members would fulfill their wishes. All of the seeds were sent to the member who started the thread and she/he would sort and send them to newbies for postage. I sent seeds earmarked for someone and I enjoyed being able to share.

Personally bigfoot and lake, I don't feel that you owe anyone an apology. Everyone here was new once. I've seen quite a few posts asking for seeds for SASE. Heck I've even responded to a few.

I have seeds also if anyone is interested.

Mariann

• bigfoot839
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i must say every one here is so nice that i have talked to and i have realy enjoyed reading alot of the post here learned alot (not bad for some one who don't usually read huh) i have found myself spending most of my day on this site just reading or even rereading some things to make sure i understand them
    thanks to every one that has been so nice and generous i hope to have lists like some of you do one day and be able to help some one out also

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'd love to trade seeds for some small envelopes. I have more seeds than I know what to do with but am always running out of coin envelopes. I don't have a list posted on GW (too difficult to keep updated) but can let you know what I have if you email me. I don't see where an apology was necessary either. Plenty of people offer things other than seeds/plants for trade.
    Karyn

• lakedallasmary
    16 years ago

I don't think trading envelopes is at all wrong. some even ask for them on their trade lists. I was the one that said in a different post you should offer envelopes if you have no seeds to trade. Just to clear up what I was talking about in my post earlier.

It does not sound as if the message the person received was from a moderator, so I would not worry about it. If it was, this is what I would do. I would just put under items to trade, I have seed envelopes. Specify plastic or paper. I don't use plastic, others prefer plastic, so listing that is a good idea. If paper, list if homemade, used, coin envelopes or what ever, so folks will know what they are getting. Also state how many you will send for each trade, or just work that out with your trader.

Anyway, I don't think big foot has anything to apologize for. I am no expert, so please use your own judgment on what to do

Mary

• lakedallasmary
    16 years ago

well gee, I am good at being wrong.

In a private e-mail from bigfoot, it does would as if the message was from a moderator.

For what it is worth, I think the moderator is misinterpreting the rules.

So I guess the previous suggestion of posting seed envelopes for trade on the garden exchange forum is a good idea.

Mary

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I still have a package with loads of seeds packed up for you but you've never responded to my emails asking for your address. I'm going to assume that you no longer want to trade seeds for envelopes.
    Karyn

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I agree with the others...no apology necessary, and I see nothing wrong with trading envys for seeds.
    Possibly, since it is the Seed Xchange, it is necessary to have seeds listed in the subject line...as in "wanted: Seeds...flowers/veggies" and not something like "Have envys for trade." Could that maybe have been it? I'm just guessing here as to why it was not all right.

The trading for postage in the past has occasionally been a problem. It is not really a 'trade'. I recently had a newbie confide in me that the postage the 'sasbe offerer' said they needed considerable more postage ($) if the receiver wanted any more than just one pack. Sheesh! We all know that more than one pack can be send for the same minimum amount of postage, unless they are a large quantity of huge seeds. It seemed they were trying to 'gain' at least a little at the expense of a newbie, instead of being a generous sharer, as the post lead one to believe.

Anywho...Welcome! and Happy Gardening!

Sue...resident busy body, and an unofficial member of the unofficial GW Welcome Wagon.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus