SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

potato blight on greenhouse tomatoes

alan haigh
11 years ago

It has been a cursed growing season for me as most of my orchard was frozen out for the first time in over 20 years of harvesting fruit here- now this.

Blight on tomatoes has never been a problem for me until the plants are out of the green house, which I always delay as long as possible and plant them in waves to get a full season of harvest.

Last year I decided to use chlorathalinil in a reduced spray schedule spraying maybe 3 times at 2 week intervals after taking plants out of the green house. This seemed to increase productivity considerably.

However, I've never needed anything for plants in the green house, but this year there are yellow areas on leaves of all my plants that look like they must be blight and not normal die-back. I've been growing tomatoes for 40 years, 25 in the east coast, and I've learned the distinctive look of blight damage.

I don't know if there's any advice anyone can give- all my plants appear infected. I guess the only thing to do is go out and buy plants and start over.

I'm wondering if anyone else in this region is suffering similar problems with their greenhouse tomatoes or if I've been picked out for special punishment (gallows humor).

I'll have to figure out how to disinfect the green house, but that's an issue for later on.

Comments (2)