SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebrguy

Making 1950's design true

nebrguy
15 years ago

This past winter I purchased a 1950's brick ranch. http://incolor.inebraska.com/sanfordlaw/4100%20C/Front.jpg I've spent the winter and spring updating colors on the inside and need to begin to come up with a plan for the front yard. I would like to try to keep it as true to 1950's ranch design as possible, but also have to say I'm not exactly certain what that might be.

Right now the front yard has a pin oak planted between the sidewalk and street. There is an overgrown juniper on one corner and an overgrown japanese maple on the other corner of the house. Betwen the drive and the japanese maple is an overgrown burning bush and overgrown yews. The front faces the south.

Notice a theme? Everything is overgrown.

Can anyone tell me what was unique about the 1950's front yard when comparing it to any other era (before or after) of landscaping?

I also have to say I have a neighbor that really doesn't want me to do much outside. She has probably lived there since the 60's and that is in part why I would like to try to find out what a 1950's front yard looked like. The juniper separates us and she takes care of the hostas underneath it even though they are mine.

Robert

Comments (12)