Houzz Logo Print
indystarproductions

HELP! What is killing my plants?

HELP! Something is eating my plants!

05/22/2013

0 Comments
Picture
Picture
So...I transplanted my seedlings that I brought up from BIRTH and guess what? They were healthy, made the transfer and then....doomsday! 2 night ago, one of my tomato seedlings went missing, completely gone, no trace. Last night- of the 7 I transplanted only 1.5 remain. Of my 4 cucumbers- 2 remain. The entire plant is just gone. A bunch of my bean plants had holes in them and I thought bugs. But a whole plant? Also last night, and entire 2-leaf zucchini plant was gone plus 1 leaf on each of 2 other zucchini plants. It's really bad. First I tried a Vinegar and water solution but that didn't seem to help. Today, I went online and thought that if something ate an entire plant it must be either a hornworm or a slug/snail. I made a home-made solution of water, vegetable oil. cayenne, and dishwashing soap and sprayed that on everything. Tonight....Amber and I went on a hunt. We snuck ever so carefully out in the middle of the night to see if we could catch what was eating my plants. BUGS! We found these tiny black bugs on everything! I've been trying to figure out what they are, or better yet how to kill them and prevent them organically but I can't figure it out! Aphids aren't usually black and don't eat entire plants... PLEASE HELP ME! I decided to buy some starter plants tomorrow because I only have a few more seedlings started and I'm afraid they aren't far along enough to transplant and I don't want to wait too long! They didn't move when Amber grabbed them, she could squish them easily but I'm sure that for every one squashed there are 30 more waiting to come aboard. I sprayed everything again with the water/vinegar solution tonight, hopefully that will save us for the night but I can't keep doing these hunts every night! They were on the romaine, raddishes, peppers, spinach, broccoli, pretty much everything. Please help me

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos of the killers

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!