SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ensete2002

DTM days to maturity inaccuracy

ensete2002
11 years ago

i was researching dtm for melon varieties in order to decide on a sowing date. i have grown tomatoes for years, and my dtm always seem to take longer than the catalog says, except for cherry types. i have attributed that to my other than optimum conditions, and that i dont prune [sucker] my plants.
well, on a new mexico blog http://nmfruitgrowers.wordpress.com/category/melons/, someone said:
Myth #6 Follow the days to maturity guide in the catalog.
As a relative guide they seem pretty accurate, but the actual days to maturity was 20-25% longer than published.
they figured it was their climate's problems.
well today, i found
http://ucanr.edu/sites/sacmg/Melon_Demonstration/
which is from sacramento, california.
on the chart in the article, they listed the official dtm from the catalog. but in each description they noted the actual dtm in their test garden:
The seed packet indicated that melons are ready to harvest in about 84 days from sowing (our first harvest was in 92 days).
Ready to harvest in about 75 days from sowing (although our first harvest took 89 days)
Ready to harvest in about 75-85 days from sowing (ours took 106 days before the first melon was harvested).
Ready to harvest in about 90 days from sowing (this estimate was way off, as our first harvest took 145 days). [by the way, that is 61% longer!]
now this is in sacramento, which is a prime agricultural area
Sacramento has been noted as being the sunniest location on the planet for four months of the year, from June through September. It also holds the distinction as the sunniest month, in terms of percent possible sunshine, of any location in the world; July in Sacramento averages 14 hours and 12 minutes of sunshine per day, amounting to approximately 98% of possible sunshine.
in fact, california's central valley produces 90% of summer-harvested cantaloupes in the U.S.
so the sacramento area should be optimal for melon growing
if Sacramento's actual dtms are so much longer than the catalog ones, where ARE the catalogs getting those dtm numbers from?
in addition to being misleading, and possibly causing incorrect sowing timing decisions, i think it makes some gardeners feel they are doing something wrong.
by the way, i have the opposite experience with growing seedlings indoors. i use a 4 light fixture and grow very sturdy seedlings much faster than the time usually listed: that photo is of a 7 week old tomato seedling in an 1801 pot [3 1/8" square]. really, it was big enough to plant at 5 weeks, but the weather was still too cold.

Comments (7)