SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyd_72

Bottom half of cucumber plant dying

15 years ago

I posted a week or so ago about trellising an established cucumber plant. We went ahead and used a slanted type trellis because I was afraid of handling the plant too much, so we basically secured netting to poles at about a 45 degree angle and just lifted the plant and arranged it onto the netting. It has been growing up the trellis fine until a few days later.

Even before putting the plant up on the trellis, I noticed that some of the leaves towards the bottom of the plant were yellowing and dying off. I figured it was because they were sort of buried underneath the top leaves and were getting no sun. Now, it seems like the entire bottom half of the plant is trying to die on me. Some of the leaves are dead, some are spotted yellowish, and some of the blossoms are wilted, dying, or dead. I have also noted a few leaves that have little holes in them toward the base of the stem. I have looked and looked for a culprit bug, but I can't find anything. The top half of the plant is doing beautifully, but I am afraid that whatever is going on towards the bottom of the plant is going to move upward.

I started them from seed and planted them in the ground when they were big enough at the end of March. It's been warm/hot here. I haven't used any fertilizer and was watering almost every day. The plants were doing so well, and I wonder if I shocked them by moving them around onto the trellis. Or is it over watering? If over watering were the problem, what do I need to do to save the plant (other than obviously stop watering so much?)

I will try to take pictures when it's light out, but in the meantime, if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate hearing it. :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting