SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprouts_honor

Please critique my front yard plan

sprouts_honor
15 years ago

We have a small city lot  24 wide x 26 deep. And it gets a lot of shade from a single Oak tree on the curb lawn. The right side nearest the drive way gets a bit more sun (roughly 5 hours) than the north end of the yard. HereÂs a shot of the house on July 4th weekend.
{{gwi:40918}}

My biggest dilemma is the steep slope near the sidewalk. See how the acorns and dead branch materials have pooled together and killed patches of grass, eroded the soil?
{{gwi:40919}}

Other neighbors have dealt with this by growing ivy on the slope. However, their lawns are defined with a driveway on each side. Being one house from the corner with my neighborÂs drive behind her house, itÂs hard to make a distinction between her yard and ours. IÂve considered a retaining wall or some sort of border, but I think that would look bad  having a straight line of ivy next to her yard of grass. So I want to keep the grass but canÂt get it to grow before the acorns fall or it gets washed away. Any suggestions?

{{gwi:40920}}

I purchased a concrete pavers mold (pictured below) thatÂs about 1 x 1 ½ feet and should come in the mail in the next 3-4 days. Any of you have experience making your own pavers? IÂm wondering if I should buy at least one (or even two) more to speed the process along (although weÂd like to keep the budget low). About ¼ of the lawn gets walked on - the mailman walks a straight line across the front and we walk along the drivewayÂs edge. The area in gray is where the pavers will go with plants like elfin or wholly thyme, creeping phlox, irsh moss planted in between and along the edges. IÂll admit IÂm intimidated by all the digging the pavers will require. This is my first attempt building a path.
{{gwi:40921}}
The brown line is a small fence that would define the back of the bed. My only concern is being able to back the truck up to the steps to get the piano out once we move. I hate the symmetrical look of the existing bed near the porch and hope to soften it by growing low plants that will fill in between the pavers

We jumped the gun a bit by purchasing a small pink dogwood thatÂs about 5 tall. It was 40% off and the last one left. IÂm wondering how long I can wait to plant the tree. I know itÂs best to get the hard-scape in before planting. WeÂve had it about a week and itÂs happy in its temporary site. It will get about 2 to 2 ½ hours of direct sun a day. Is that too sun much for a dogwood? The dogwood will be the tallest plant on the left , with plants becoming gradually shorter to the right so they wonÂt obstruct the view of the door.

If you have any suggestions or advice, IÂd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Jennifer

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting