SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

Can't grow beets!?

catsgurleygirl
11 years ago

Okay, so I feel really stupid because my husband and I have been trying to grow beets for about 3 months and just aren't getting anywhere! We have not gotten one single beet. We are also trying to grow swiss chard and we have not had any luck there either. I just don't know what the deal is. I thought that growing beets was easy, but apparently for us' it's not. I mean we have grown Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorprion plants from seeds and done well, but these beets are kicking out butts. I know it is getting to hot for beets here in hot, humid Memphis, but I think it is still okay for swiss chard, right? Our growing conditions for the yard are raised beds with garden soil that had a long release fertilizer in it. I don't know what else to do. I did fertilize again about a week ago with miracle grow because I just didn't know what else to do, but I am at a loss, some things have been munched on, but the beets aren't even developing roots and the swiss chard is just MIA except for some scraggly tiny guys here and there. I am going to try some swiss chard in the big garden tomorrow, so hopefully that will grow. Anyway, I know this is a bit long, but do any of you have any ideas or suggestions? I am just at a loss. TIA!!!

Comments (14)