SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Bark-Based Mix & Ammonia? -- Attn: Al, Josh, et al.

Having moved recently, and much of the soil stuff I stored away having been tossed in the move by someone I love who will go unnamed, I had a few weeks at the new house where I had no bark or perlite.

Since then, while I still don't have what I need for gritty mix, I now do have the ingredients necessary for 5-1-1. The peat part has been provided by ProMix HP or Roots Organic soil.

I'd been noticing one pot looking bizarre. It's a brand new fuschia I had bought that has actually grown considerably, and I've already pinched them off once. But each day, it was becoming a chartreuse color and today, the new growth looks outright yellow.

{{gwi:50595}}

It was placed in a spot where it was getting around 1.5-2 hour of sun only, next to a hosta. It's in a 3 gallon black plain nursery pot.

Bringing it onto my patio to figure out what to do about this, I noticed the distinct smell of...ammonia. I don't know much but I know that ain't right.

So I repotted it (the photo is showing after repot) into a different pot with just plain potting soil -- Roots Organic, and I mixed in some additional perlite.

{{gwi:50596}}

I'm guessing something is amiss with my bark -- do you agree? This time, I bought GreenAll Microbark as my usual source for fir bark is almost 2 hours away now. It can't be the perlite....and the peat-based soil I used is pretty standard stuff.

This plant in and of itself doesn't matter, but I've used no less than 3 bags of this stuff in recent months in various containers. I went around to each container that has 5-1-1 or some variation of it, and sniffed (God willing, none of my neighbors were looking out their windows...) -- but only this one has the ammonia smell. Quite potent, actually.

If it is the bark, I find it even stranger that the other pots aren't stinking to high heaven. But I am now eyeing all of my new pots and wondering if they'll be okay.

Anyone experience this? And what was the solution?
I'm looking at the 3 bags of GreenAll I have left and wondering if, against my preference, I'll actually be using bark as mulch soon.

Grace

Comments (19)