SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
careytearose

anyone have a 'folly'?:treehouse/playhouse

careytearose
16 years ago

I'm x-posting this also to the gardening with kids, and the cottage gardens forums, as it may be applicable there as well.

Does anybody out there have what would be considered in English gardening style folly? I've seen these occasionally popping up in my English Garden and English Home mags. We also love the treehouse seen in the recent film "Sense and Sensibility".

Webster's dictionary defines a folly as: an often extravagant picturesque building erected to suit a fanciful taste.

We recently discovered that a family we know from church has a wooden treehouse up on stilts in their backyard. Complete with screened windows, and electrical. The tree below it was cut, so now its called a stump house. We're going to measure it today hopefully when we pick up their son for a sleepover.

The children and I have always wanted a victorian playhouse/garden shed for the backyard, but DH wouldn't let us build one in his soon to be large scale (G scale)garden RR area in the back. The idea of RR tower up on stilts JUST might be something he'd go for it seems! A treehouse or small playhouse on stilts could be a fun and unique addition to "traintown". The fence height in traintown is now at about 58", so that would be the stilt/post height. We'd want it tall enough inside for an adult to be able to stand. There are two possible suitable locations for this in the back, one would have a view of the childrens'Secret Garden and all of traintown out the windows. As the train layout is pre turn of the century NY, a quasi-victorian style building could work.

If anyone has pics, I'd love to see them!

To see pics of our recent landscaping projects and roses, ck out my Picture Trail:

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: look at Landscaping Projects 2007, Favourite ROSES We Grow albums

Comments (4)