SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antje_gw

Rat in Compost Bin

antje
15 years ago

Hello All:

I started my vegetable garden last year. This year I was going to step it up a notch and expanded and I also added a compost bin. It's one of those that looks like a Trash can, but has a bunch of holes in it. Basically you put the stuff in at the top and take the finished 'black gold' back out at the bottom. My problem is, that now I have a Rat that uses it as his (?) home. At night, or when we are not at the garden, he (?) harvests our strawberries. We have tried snap traps, but he is too smart for that. I even caught him ones eating a strawberry right next to the darn trap. I really don't want to use any poison as we also have three dogs. I also have Mint, Peppermint and Catnip planted in my garden which they supposedly don't like. My question is: Do I really have to empty the entire Compost bin and then add chicken wire around it and fill it back up to get rid of the thing? ANY proven suggestions would help. What have you used for traps to attract the Rat to go on it, is there something they can't resist????? BTW, my Compost only has garden scraps, such as weeds, grass clippings, leaves, twigs etc. and kitchen sraps such as peels from fruit and vegetables. No meats, greases or dairy products are in there, because I was trying to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for your help.

Antje

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville