SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crouch_gw

Basic suggestions needed for small area in front of house (long).

crouch
16 years ago

We just moved into a new house that has zero landscaping.

I had a landscaper come out to the house but his plan was too ambitious for our budget at this time.

I would like to soften the front of the house with some landscaping in one key area now, and then add the rest over time. However, I have no experience whatsoever in landscaping and neither my wife nor I have an eye for design.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to fill in the area between the steps and the garage. I could use even the most basic advice like how to get rid of the grass that's there now, do I need to dig down and create a hole before adding more topsoil/mulch, what depth and type of soil/mulch to put in its place before planting, how far from the foundation should I plant, do you usually put taller plants in back and smaller plants in the front, and what type of plants and layout you would suggest.

My main worry is that the right side of the steps ultimately will need a retaining wall due to the slope. Does that mean I should now put a small wall in the area between the steps and garage to match the eventual wall that will go to the right of the steps, or can I skip the wall in this first area?

My other question is how best to keep access to the hose faucet since I need to use that fairly often and don't want to leave footprints/break through shrubs to get there.

The landscaper did not break down his suggestions as to exactly what would go in this small area, but his list of plants for the whole area included 3 gallon boxwoods, 3 gallon peegee hydrangeas, 5 gallon endless summer hydrangeas, a snow fountain weeping cherry, a B&B blue spruce, and a 10 gallon myrtle with a name I can't quite make out (looks like "curge"). I live in NJ.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

{{gwi:40427}}

{{gwi:40428}}

Comments (8)