SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_35399

Help with dry peat moss!!

Early this spring my husband built me a beautiful 4'x8'x12" raised garden bed as a present. He filled it with peat moss, garden soil, and humus. Except he didn't know that the peat moss had to be wet and apparently it was so dry going in that it was blowing around...(I didn't find this out until today).

Last week I planted all of my veggies (it's a square foot garden): tomatos, peppers, etc. and I noticed that it was dry despite me watering a bit the past few weeks and quite a lot of rain recently but didn't think much of it (I'm also a gardening beginner). I've been watering daily and we just got two inches of rain over the past two days. Today I was doing a little digging and realized that once you get past the dirt (first inch or so) it's bone-dry.

How can I get the peat moss to absorb water and stay wet? Someone mentioned something on another thread about using dish soap in the water...will that damage the plants? Is there any way to salvage this or will it destroy my plants? I have another raised bed from last year that got my plants started much faster and I'm wondering if it's the dry peat moss that's holding the new bed back. Please help!

Comments (15)