SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

My very first garden! :D Help with design!

Until recently I could only have house plants but now I will be moving into a condo and would like some advice on what I should plant in my garden.

{{gwi:39522}}

The area is small about 10 or 12ft x 8ft. I will provide a rough sketch of the area. There is a small sidewalk with bricks on both sides and a wooden fence surrounding the west and north sides; a sliding door on the east side and the gate/ brick wall is to the south. There are 2 tree stumps, side by side with area to plant around them. There is open ground, about one 3 to 4 inches space on the west side where the wooden fence is located. The building is 2 stories high so there is not much light until around 12pm. I receive direct sun in the afternoon on the northeast patch of open ground and partial sun in the other areas.

Here are some of my ideas, suggestions welcome!

On the west side, with the 3 to 4inch space, I was thinking either planting a vine such as bougainvillea (one of my favorites!) or a line of cannas. I think the cannas would take a long time to grow and probably need more space. (Partial light in the morning to afternoon)

On the northwest side, with the tree stumps, I was thinking placing pots with fern, ivy or Mexican heather on top of the stumps; I want something that will vine down the pot and tree stump. As for the ground in that area I was thinking of some ground cover or some kinds of mossy plant. (Partial light in the morning into the evening)

Since the northeast patch gets the most light I want something that flowers. I know very little about flowering plants and am open to suggestions! Possible something fragrant and bright colored? (Partial light in the morning with direct sun in the afternoon into the evening)

I do not know about the southeast side, possible some monkey grass lining the sidewalk and the bricks. But other than that I donÂt really have any ideas. There is an over hang from the second floor, shading most of this area. (Very little light in the morning, partial light in the afternoon into evening)

Hopefully I can provide pictures of the area soon. There are lots of weeds covering the little backyard so I will have my work cut out for me. I don't know many plants and I know there are many out there so please let me know what you think.

Thank you! Suggestions are welcome! :D

Comments (8)