SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babywatson

Need Some Help with Bougainvillea

babywatson
18 years ago

Hi everyone

I recently got a small potted bougainvillea. It's in a pot about two inches across. It's flowering very nicely and I have it sitting outside since it's still quite hot in Virginia during the days and nights.

I was wondering what to do with it during the winter months. Obviously, I will bring it indoors to my sunroom since it won't survive our zone seven winters. The room gets quite a lot of direct and indirect light (depending on where you place it in the room.)

I didn't know if I should repot it, fertilize it, how often to water it, or what. So far, I'm letting it dry out between waterings which it does pretty quickly since it's been quite warm up till today--94 degrees yesterday.

It's a woody looking vine, well, I'm just trying to describe it although I'm sure you've seen them before. It's not trained on anything yet. I just am not sure what to expect. Will it lose its leaves during the winter? How will I tell if it's not dead? I'm not sure what to do. These vines survive on benign neglect in California but I've never tried to grow one indoors before.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mary

Mary

Comments (3)