SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

Should I root prune this tiny little thing already?

nnmjdklil
9 years ago

First off, my apologies if this should be posted in 'maples' instead. Wasn't sure which was best but the maple is going into a container for at least a year so...

I received my first-ever mail order plants today, 2 little Japanese Maples. They arrived healthy and I'm very happy with the size for the $15 I paid for each of them. The Shishigashira seemed perfect for what little I know of this, the roots were loose and there were lots of them. The Koto No Ito has some longish roots growing out of the holes in the bottom of the tiny container. I'm sure it's super healthy still but as I'm about to put it into a larger pot, I wonder, should I leave the roots alone or prune some out? I didn't do a thing to the Shishigashira roots save gently spread them out some. I can't imagine this little Koto No Ito would need any root pruning either but I like to be sure before I start instead of learning the hard way like I have so many other things over the years!

Also I'm planning on planting in 3 gallon containers in the 5-1-1, just FYI. Putting the pots in the ground for winter with lots of mulch on top.

Comments (18)