SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalchad

Bugs On Spaghetti Squash

socalchad
11 years ago

I have a few spaghetti squash plants grown from seeds leftover from store-bought veggies.

Lately I have noticed some minor damage to small areas of some leaves. Upon close inspection, I found about a dozen little white globular things(egg sacks?) on top of the leaves. It is always a lone speck, white to translucent, sometimes a perfect sphere, sometimes accompanied by a bit of fuzz.
There have always been small back flies around, but I planted some horsemint to deter them and have been removing the dead leaves which I had on top of the soil keeping it moist.

This forum has already helped me quite a bit in assessing problems with these squash. Apparently I had a lack of pollinators, so I have been hand pollinating. Now I have a few squash fertilized and growing!!
But I am still having about half of them shrivel on the vine a few days after pollination. In the last two weeks I have done some forensics on the shriveled squash: One had an earwig inside of it! Another had a tiny tan bug inside the pollinated flower that flew away when I opened it.

In my last set of pollinations, I have removed the flower from the vegetable about 4 days after pollination and all of these squash appear to be growing without shriveling!

IN SUMMARY:
-I still don't know what type of bugs have been laying eggs on my leaves, I'd like to identify the enemy. I have enclosed a picture of one of the egg sacks
-My shriveling squash issue may be figured out, I'll report back when I can conclusively say that removing the flowers after pollination was the issue...

Comments (4)