SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmb_ma

Tree placement / front door

gmb_ma
16 years ago

Can a tree planted directly in front of a front door ever be a good thing?

My house is a large colonial with plenty of frontage and setback from the street. Viewed from the street, the driveway is on the right with a sidewalk going from the driveway to the front door. I have a large bed in front of the sidewalk that is currently anchored with an Arnold Promise witchhazel and Donald Wyman crabapple.

A third tree could be placed in that island to create a dog-leg tree location pattern which would generally follow the shape of the sidewalk. My tree of choice would be a paperbark maple. Distances seem good - the paperbark maple would be about 10 feet from the sidewalk, about 20-25 feet from the house and eighteen feet from the crabapple with a perfect interior viewing location of the paperbark maple from the study. From what I can mentally visualize, the exterior views from around the property seem strong as well. The home/property can easily accomodate the visual mass of such an arrangement. So far so good except for the fact the paperbark maple would end up directly in front of the front door.

Is this location a deal breaker? Will I be cited by the feng shui police? Can a tree planted directly in front of a front door ever be a good thing?

Comments (15)