SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kfoster12_gw

Stone Patio - Question

kfoster12
16 years ago

Hi there, first post.

My wife & I have a small backyard - 21'x21'. We've decided to do a stone patio using Roman Pavers.

This is our very first time ever doing something like this, and are taking all the advice we can take.

So far we've cleared the yard, and made it as level as possible. One side of the yard we had to build up, and have done so by using garden tie and tamped down dirt. It's not 100% perfectly level, but I understand the most important part is to have the base layers as accurate as possible.

We're at the point where we want to drive stakes into the ground to guide us where we want to dig down. The patio isn't going to be a giant square, it has some curves.

After we drive the stakes down, it will be time to start excavating downwards for the pouring of "road crush gravel" and sand.

I have a few questions...

1) Our backyard is mostly clay. It's hard as rock. Digging down and making it all level will be a giant pain in the butt. Any suggestions other than just using a sharp edge shovel? Any methods that work best for digging down through clay and making the base as even as possible? It's not a yard where we could get a bobcat in :( so it all has to be done by hand.

2) I've heard you need AT MINIMUM 6" of "road crush gravel", tamped down to 3". I have also heard 8" tamped to 4". Which is true? The pavers we are using are about 3" thick.

3) Leveling/Grade. This, I know, is the most important part - any tips anyone can provide regarding getting the best level possible? We originally though that as long as we get the base layer (rock/sand) level, the ground underneath doesnt have to be 100% level.

4) I've bought myself a nice level, which I plan to tie to a 2x4 slat of wood - to ensure we have proper grading for water run off - we essentially want any water than lands on the patio to drain AWAY from the house - and plan to acheive this by getting a 1degree slope away from the house. Is this ideal/realistic?

5) Water run off protection. I was thinking of installing eaves-trophing on the sides of the yard along the fence. I'm completely paranoid of flooding our neighbors on both sides. We plan to do the best job on our grading, but would also like an emergency plan. On the outer rim of the patio will be an "AT LEVEL" flower bed just full of soil. Will soil flowerbeds work as protection against flood (as to soak up run off)? Any tips on protecting myself and my neighbors would be appreciated.

6) This one is easy I'm sure - I've heard to use a cement mix/sand mix with the base gravel layer and on top of the roman pavers after they are laid down (and swept into the cracks of course)

Thank you :) and sorry for the long winded post.

For you to laugh at, here is a quick and dirty diagram :)

www.downwithrobots.com/uploads/store/plan.JPG

Comments (6)