SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliegb_gw

tree/shrub recommendations welcom

JulieGB
9 years ago

I recently completed building a new retaining wall by my drive at the front of my house. As part of that, I had a new "planter area" built by a lower wall that encloses a curved area of approx 12' by 7' at the widest, next to my parking space and driveway. (see pic) I am in Northern NJ, zone 6a. this location is on the west side of my house & garage, with shade until approx noon, then full sun until 6pm in the summer, less in the winter. I am imagining a small sized ornamental tree plus evergreens, and ground cover, hosta.
Issues are that
- this is right next to the road where there will be snow/salt potential and snow bank along road edge.
-I am concerned about roots given the concrete walls on either side of the space.
- am away fairly frequently so long stretches go by without my attention, and I am not a skilled gardener, so low maintenance and hardy are major plus
So.. my question is any thoughts or ideas on trees or evergreen shrubs that would be suited for this space. I would love green in the winter, and a ornamental tree.
thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (5)