SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taai_gw

front yard design-- novice level

taai
16 years ago

My husband and I just bought our first house. We have been living in a condo for seven years, and we are VERY EXCITED to have a front yard.

I have designed the front yard with some exterior changes to the house in Photo-Shop. It is very basic, as my photo-shop skills are not that great, but it gives an idea.

Photograph below is the house without any changes. As you can see, the yard is gently sloping, and has some very poorly placed trees (one that is unidentifiable it's been pruned so badly) and a small Japanese Maple. They've got to go, as do the small beds surrounding them:

{{gwi:37152}}

The following is the house with exterior changes, and garden upgrading:

{{gwi:37155}}

My question here is: The front path will have to be terraced, because of the gradual slope. We are considering brick, poured concrete (with a finish), or red gravel with a few terraced steps made out of treated wood landscaping 4X4.

The latter is the most attractive in terms of cost, because we could do it ourselves. Hubby and I are willing to bust our butts making our yard lovely, but we are relatively inexperienced. I worked in landscaping as a teenager, so I know some basic techniques (like edging, etc). We are able to take direction, however. We renovated our condo ourselves, using instruction manuals and guides, so we are moderately capable.

Any thoughts, comments, objections, or novel ideas appreciated! :)

Can a gravel-type path be laid with terraced wood steps (just a few) and how would it hold up over time?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Taai

Comments (11)