SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hwilson18_gw

Aphids - HELP!

hwilson18
14 years ago

Hi all,

I am a pretty new gardener but feel I am getting the hang of it pretty well.

I have some veggies and herbs that I have started from seeds and have had great success.

Recently, I purchased a couple small plants from Under The Sun (not fruited yet), I got a sweet bell peper and jalapeno plant. I brought them home, put them in pots and so forth.

Well, a few days ago I had to bring them inside because we got a really bad storm. I noticed on the jalapeno plant these little red bugs. After doing research I have discovered they are aphids. They are on both plants but more so the jalapeno.

In the corner of the new shoots (i think thats what they are called?) it is starting to get black and some of the leaves are starting to turn brown...I read today that a mixture of water, mild dish soap and oil sprayed on te plant will get rid of these.

MY first question is, is that mixture what I should have used?? If so, how long should I continue to use it and is it going to hurt my plant? If not, what should I be doing (I am really going for organic gardening unless absolutely necessary to not).

2nd, are my plants going to be okay?? Or are they going to just continue to get worse?

3rd, how do you prevent these guys?? None of my other plants have them and so I am totally lost. Since I am new at this, I was just dumbfounded.

Any help or advice is appreciated!!!

Comments (2)