SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevega_gw

New Japanese inspired garden-need suggestions

stevega
17 years ago

I posted earlier in the Japanes Garden and Garden Design galleries because I did not know how to insert reasonable sized pictures. Please look at my start and make any comments or suggestions for improvements. The pictures do not show the elevation rise of the serpentine cherry very well. It is clearer in person and perhaps if I defined the base of the knoll better it would help.

I have recently moved into a new house and have several areas for gardens. There are some large rocks in one area so I have begun to create a Japanese style garden in that area (a triangle 40'X 20'). It is larglely in the sun.

So far I have a rock for sitting, an elevated serpentine flowering cherry, 2 mugo pines, a Jane Kluis pine, some ilex crenata for mounding, repens junipers and some small sedum for color. I would very much like suggestions for improvements in rock/plant placement. I can move all but the large flat sitting rock.

Would it make sense to add Japanese maples (or plums) just outside the border to provide shade?

My attempt at unity is using rocks from the same area and arranging them on roughly the same axis as if from one paritally buried outcrop area. The theme is a miniature rocky mountainous area where the pines and hollies will represent patches of forest. The serpentine cherry winds skyward from the top of the mountain and rains back down to earth. the sedum should creep and cascade representing waterfalls.

I do think that it needs pathway(s) but I can't decide on enclosure-good or bad.

{{gwi:36322}}

{{gwi:36323}}

{{gwi:36324}}

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz