SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

New seedlings not suitable for Gritty mix or 5:1:1?

I have a few well established plants growing in both mixes and they seem fine. I repotted a few sprouts or small seedlings into both and they are still alive but they don't seem to be growing. All are hot peppers (same variety).

{{gwi:46169}}

Above is a picture of a seedling that was originally in ProMix and was about the same size over a week ago once put in 5:1:1. Was sprayed with Epsom Salts and Fish Emulsion.

{{gwi:46169}}

Second picture is the same type in 5:1:1 as well. Not any bigger than when it was planted over a week ago. Not pictured, but in the same container is a sprout that was fine once transplanted into the 5:1:1 but slowly died.

{{gwi:46172}}

Third picture is a larger plant and it is showing signs of growing since it's been in this mix, and same fert treatment. It's in 1:1:1 mix. Do plants generally need to be about this size before 5:1:1 or 1:1:1 will be beneficial for them?

{{gwi:46174}}

Fourth picture (above) are 3 leggy seedlings that were in Promix and are in 5:1:1 now and all received same fert. treatment. I figured by now over a week later they would be thickening at the stems and filling out a bit. They do seem healthy but they aren't growing that much or at all. It wouldn't surprise me if one day one withers away/shrivels up as it's happened to a few of the ones not showing signs of growing.

I have lost a couple of small seedlings once transplanted in 1:1:1 and 5:1:1, so I am wondering if these aren't idea mixes for plants that have just developed roots. I have tomato cuttings that are in a Promix pot waiting for roots to develop, but would either the 5:1:1 or 1:1:1 mix not be ideal until the plant gets to be about a month old or will they have the same non growth I am experiencing with the peppers?

Comments (30)