SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryalappat_gw

leaves of Beet sprouts are detatching

maryalappat
11 years ago

Hi,

I planted beets straight in the ground a month ago and some of them sprouted 2 weeks back. I can see two long first leaves. but almost a third of them are losing their leaves. The leaves are not drying or wilting. They are not being eaten by slugs (i'm using beer traps and slug pellets and the whole 9 yards). Some of them seem like they have fallen over. And when i looked closer it seemed like the leaves have separated from the stem. What causes this? Am I watering too much? Should I wait to replant beet seeds? I'm in Portland, Oregon. We are going through a cold wet spell (but lows are still over 40F). Should i wait for it to get warmer? I had assumed beets were an early spring vegetable.
I heard beets are easy to grow, and this does not seem easy... Also, overall the beet seeds that have sprouted don't seem very healthy and are developing really, really slowly. I'm growing Detroit reds and Red high top varieties. Any advice on how to grow them will be greatly appreciated. Also any advice on beet varieties that are easy to take care of would also be great.

Thanks!
Mary

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting