SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeleva

super fast roots on Sugar Snap Peas?

aeleva
13 years ago

My first year growing veggies from seed, so I'm a total newbie.

I have a question about root growth on sugar snap peas. I'm growing a grey dwarf variety I got via a trade. I planted them in repurposed clear cups on 4/13. It's six days later and the first one has popped up about a half inch. I was looking at it this morning and I think I am seeing a ROOT all of the way at the bottom of the cup (5 inches down). It's already starting to circle around the bottom. Is this typical? Do I need to plant these in larger starter pots? How much longer can I leave it in the cup (how many root circles before it becomes root bound)?

Note: I see from some research that there is a preference to direct seed peas. I have a harsh growing environment of hungry snails, so I was trying to give the plants a head start on foliage before transplanting outside.

(About a month ago I planted another variety of dwarf peas in egg cartons and within 2 weeks they each had roots sticking out the bottom by about two inches. I up-planted these into their final 5 gallon container and they are now ten inches. I thought the cups would be better for more root room. I didn't know peas were such ferocious growers!)

Comments (8)