SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmiesse

Help! Is this the best garden plant for my 7 x 14 plot?

mmiesse
11 years ago

Hello! I also posted this in the Organic Gardening forum, but I thought this would also be a good place to post!

I am helping create a small community gardening area in my apartment complex this year. I have created a plot of a small vegetable garden. Please offer any advice on companion planting and such! We have a 7 x 14 garden in a raised bed. I have marked the amount of shade in each square.

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. If I were to plant squash, should I do that in this garden or elsewhere?

2. I forgot to add nasturtiums and marigolds (the latter to keep away bugs) - do you think I can plant those anywhere or should I plant them around the border?

The diamonds down the middle are small stones - we will divide the plot in half so we can work in the middle.

This garden will not have assigned plots, we are all doing this together. Teamwork makes the dream work!

Please offer any advice!

Comments (64)

• ltilton
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the plot would be big enough to produce a decent yield for one person or one small family. But the OP wants to make a community plot, for multiple families. It's just not enough room for that, as envisioned.

Crop rotation would certainly help. Planting the lettuce and chard first forex and tomatoes between when it gets warmer, so they have room after the greens are pulled. But it's already late to start that.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Woohooman

Do you have an example of your plot you could provide?

Thanks everybody!

• Related Discussions

best way to quickly water 4x10 garden plot

Q

Comments (16)
    Even better for quick hand watering with a hose --cut off the bottoms of milk, apple juice, & 2 liter bottles & insert with the neck down into the soil. The wide open top which was the bottom of the jugs is easier to fill especially when the plants have grown large. Especially works well for larger plants like zucchini, cucumber, & tomato plants. Fill all of them once & go back around 2-3 times so that it waters enough. You might have to experiment with the location and quantity of jugs to effectively water the entire plot. Early on when you have seedlings a watering wand still works to fill jugs & broadcast light spray around the small plants. You might get your child to enjoy the watering if you put some little toy fish or similar floating toys inside the jugs. They help you water to make the fish swim in the water as you fill it up. Your child can move the fish to the next jug for you to fill. Make it a game to water the garden and the playground will be the reward when the garden is watered or play 1st then water for a break and play again.
    ...See More

Help! Is this the best garden plant for my 7 x 14 plot?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello! I wish i thought about About a community garden when I lived in a apartment... Great idea! Dimensions/measurements would help.. In general, MINiMUM spacing goes as follows: Tomato 2 sq ft Peppers/eggplant 1st ft Also Instead of having the tomatoes in full sun, inwould out th peppers in full sun.. I can see your aware of sunlight.. Take note of the sun at different hours, make sure your larger plants(tomatos,etc) are not shading out your smaller plants(kale,lettuce,etc).. Generally, the tallest plants go innthe north, gradually working you way up to smallest in the south. Leafy greens do well in shade.. Question1(marigolds): who knows realy how much beneift they bring.. I wouldnt count on that to be your insect repellent.. You could plant them anywhere you like.. Even in shepards hooks for nice hanging baskets, whatever floats your boat. Marigold flowers are edible, and healthy for you. So the diamonds are walk paths,stepping stones or what? I dont see how you aren't going to trample them everytime you walk.. Especially for a community garden, not all people are careful.. You're right teamwork does wonders.. That's whatnthis forum is al about! Good luck, Joe Question
    ...See More

Please Add MORE 'My Favorite Gardening Tips'

Q

Comments (91)
    Outsmarting the tree rats (squirrels) around my house is a full time job. This past spring I hit on a new idea. When I plant a container I invert an empty wire hanging basket over the container and the plant gets sun and can be watered but the squirrels can't dig in it. Another idea: I bring in a lot of plants to "over winter" under lights in my garage. I have so many that it is hard to reach my hand under the lights (4 shop lights) to the middle for watering. So I bought a pump sprayer with a long wand and it works great! In late winter I add a little liquid Dawn detergent, few drops, to each gallon of water and not only does the soil get wet easier but the worms that are waiting to hatch into distructive pets just don't hatch. Don't know what it costs me to run those four shop lights all winter but I don't care. It is a small price to pay to be able to "garden" every weekend in the garage. Many people have mentioned that they mark their outdoor plants with a "permanent Sharpie". In my experience there isn't a "permanent Sharpie", they all fade and quickly too. A grease pencil/china marker or expensive "no fade" garden center marker are the only markers I have found that won't disappoint you by fading. Eight years ago I decided to learn about gardening so I tapped into my local library. I checked out nearly every book they had on gardening and learned so much. The Gardenweb forums are also a wealth of information and entertainment. There is always something new to learn and I appreciate all of you who take the time to write in your ideas. One last idea from me...I keep a small notebook on my computer table and jot down any idea I find that's new and I will want to try. Little pieces of paper get lost but I always know where my notebook is and also use it when I order "on line" so I will remember the name of the company and the order date. Tina or Trowelgal
    ...See More

What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?

Q

Comments (21)
    I'm sorry if I'm repeating what others have said but I have a plot in a community garden and have thought about this. My community garden is 30+ years old so I don't know how they prepared the soil way back then but now when a plot is turned over to a new gardener it is up to the new gardener to till and amend the soil. This turns out really very well although sometimes it means dealing with a garden where the soil was amended very little if at all and the weeds grew rampant or if you're lucky the previous plot holder took care of the soil. In your community garden project, if you want to till and amend the soil for your first gardeners you should get as much good quality non-manure compost as you can afford, till that in then let your gardeners add manure or anything else they want later on. I think this will get the soil ready to plant without a lot of cost. If the individual gardeners want to test the soil in their garden plots and add amendments let them do it themselves; this is an important part of being a gardener and very satisfying. Often landscape suppliers will offer discounts to community gardening projects and, at least in my area, the municipal sanitary service makes cheap compost available made from the garden waste they've pick-up from the green bins... Good luck with your garden project...
    ...See More
  • woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

ltilton: You're right. A tad overzealous if one would want to get ALL their veggies from this plot. There would definitely have to be some supplemental store-bought veggies. Nothing wrong with that -- some veggies just aren't worth the hassle to grow for what you get out of them as far as space and cost. e.g, spinach.. But a little shared amongst the masses would be a good thing.

mmiesse: No I don't. My plot isn't actually broken up like I mentioned. I use different plots throughout my backyard to achieve the "needs" I mentioned above.

I'll give my 2 cents here but your best bet is going to be being creative-- which you've already shown with your layout.

MY opinion:

First, I'd ask everybody involved what they REALLY want. Certainly, not EVERYBODY wants okra ---;).

Then, maybe a combo of yours and growsy's -- a couple of trellises -- ditch the bush cukes though.. they can CLIMB trellises. But, definitely Indeterminate tomatoes spaced more but I had just 3 early girls last year and i had tomatoes coming out of my ears. As far as watering needs are concerned, it appears everything likes a lot of water except for a lot of the herbs -- that's why i say containers for them. I also would go with peppers in containers since they do like water but they like to wilt in between waterings. Tomatoes like long deep soaks, while cukes and other shallow rooted veggies like to be consistently moist. Peppers are also ideal for small (5-10 gal) containers. You could surround the whole perimeter with peppers and herbs. If you're insistent on onions and potatoes, you may want to keep one area a little acidic. Me, I don't grow potatoes(too cheap and it never rains here). Also, I love colored bells but they're weak producers and in the middle of the summer, dirt cheap. I still grow some though :)

You may want to think -- best fresh, what everybody likes, prolific for the space they take, pricy and/or rare. You'll figure it out -- you've already given the space and sunlight some thought. I just wanted to point out OTHER "needs."

What do I know, though? I'm an amateur myself.

Good luck.

Kevin

• growsy
    10 years ago

definitely get together with your group & figure out what everyone is interested in growing & go from there.

A couple of years ago (at a different house) we had 2 beds that were 4' x 12'. We planted half of one bed with beans (pole on a trellis in the back & the front with bush) & half the bed with cukes (same deal). For the climbing cukes we had Straight 8 & a pickler & the bush cukes were all picklers. (I think they were Burpee's Picklebush & Homemade Pickles.) We had a lot of cukes & enjoyed making fresh pickles. That's why I put dill in the little plan I sketched for you! My favorite eating cuke, though, is Armenian. I just didn't have any that year. At any rate, for a small space we got lots of produce, so that's what I was thinking of - that those are pretty productive veggies.

This year I'm very pleased with our chard. Summer squash is pretty miserable on the East coast because unless you can cover or will spray with a pesticide, squash vine borers can take out your plants in short order (in my experience). If you aren't in the East, then they produce wonderfully - but they are also pretty cheap at the store. Etc.

If you can put things in pots & perhaps 5 gallon buckets, as others have brought up, that could potentially give you a lot more room to play with. Also, you might consider talking to someone at a local gardening center to find out what does well where you are & where you might run into trouble. I think if you stick fairly close to things you're likely to have success with the first time around it will be more enjoyable.

I hope you don't have too hard a time coming to a consensus with your group & that you all find the whole thing a rewarding endeavor. Good luck, again! :)

• mrsgalihad
    10 years ago

Potatoes may not produce much in relation to the space they are given but if there are kids involved in the project they might be worth doing. My son loved digging the potatoes the one year we did them.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

But potatoes simply can't be grown in the space allotted on the plan. One potato plant will need its own square.

• User
    10 years ago

A surprising amount can be grown in a tiny space....but you need a good strategy - absolutely not a kind of miniature market garden but think, instead of micro-greens, pea sprouts, cut and come again lettuces, spring onions, mustards, oriental veggies, spinach and chard - you can harvest the plantlets while tiny, intercropping with fast (3 week turnover) broccoli leaves, beet leaves - these have all the tastiness of mature veggies, look lovely in salads and share around (a crucial reward for hard work). Things like potatoes and squash are a bit insane - you might harvest 8 decent tubers but you can keep fresh green saladings all summer. Fingerling carrots are doable. Or 1 bush courgette. and parsley, lots of parsley.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

That's a sensible approach.

Although in the US, a garden w/o tomatoes is unthinkable.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I'd update you all on the garden, as its main season is coming to a close!

It was VERY successful and all the advice was useful. Everything grew really well but our space was a bit cramped, so next year we're hoping the landlord will add another garden bed for us to plant in.

Up until about 2 weeks ago we had veggies still growing, but now its frozen. We have started plants and are going to try our hand at winter gardening!

I guess I can only upload one photo, so here's a list of what we planted:

Watermelon, cucumber, cantaloupe, spearmint, stevia, okra, peppers, swiss chard, mustard greens, collard greens, tomatoes, basil, tulsi (holy basil), lettuce, echinacea, yellow squash, marigolds, oregano, sweet marjoram, chives, lavender.

Also, we had a tinybug problem with our greens and I purchased ladybugs to help...except I miscalculated and ordered 4,500 ladybugs instead of 400...

Turned out to be a blessing and they kept the bugs away after that!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

It looks very good. From the watermelon I can smell success.

Melons family need room to run. So you plant them on the edge and let the vine go away.

Also, consider the plans' height for visual effect and sunlight.. by starting the tallest one( climbing peas/beans, sunflowers, tomatoes, okra, eggplants , peppers , potatoes..). The herbs should be at the south most part, as they are shortest.

I am sure you have learned a lot from your experiences along the way. So then the next season will be even better.

• Deeby
    10 years ago

I think it's wonderful ! You must have all had a great time making a great garden !

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

Looks really good! You have a totally different growing season as us here in No CA! We are still in the 70-80* temps (pretty crazy even for No CA!!!!)
    No matter where you live, I would say to keep the herbs either in pots or in a separate bed from the other veges! They tend to take over! Many years ago when I started my beds, I planted a bunch of herbs in one 3x3 bed. They went absolutely crazy, and I didn't know which one was which!
    I ended up tearing all of them out and re-planting in pots, but here we are 10 years later and they are coming back up to haunt me! I just keep clipping them back! LOL Nancy

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, I think you can also award yourselves major grats -you made a fantastic use of a little space. Top class.

• ticodxb
    10 years ago

Great job on successfully using the space! I hope your landlord appreciates the effort and give more space for you all :)

• ticodxb
    10 years ago

I just remembered a video about growing tomatoes on a single stem that might be of interest to you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Single Stem Tomatoes Vertically in a Square Foot Garden

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link ameera! I'm definitely going to try that next season.

• Natalie723
    10 years ago

By doing so you will grow the things in your area but I can't assure the optimum productivity as this can be too much crowd of different kinds of vegetables. Moreover you must also judge the clay of your garden whether it is fertile enough for all these varieties.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Mmiesse, I wonder if you are planning a garden this year and did your landlord give you more space?

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prairiemoon2:

Thanks for checking back!

We just started planting last week, actually. The landlord is letting us expand the garden to our liking. We have altered one of the in-ground beds to make it larger and more space efficient; I am really excited about that! I think we will grow squash in that section.

We are also building a second bed about the same size as our current. We will build this out of wood we sourced from the community - I think we'll hold it together with rebar, plus that way it's portable in case our plants don't work out so well there.

Last week we planted snap peas, swiss chard, spinach, all sorts of herbs, early jalapenos, 3 tomato starts somebody bought (we will see how those work out in this weather, but we've been covering them overnight), garlic, marigolds and eggplant.

We are also planning on creating a little pumpkin patch and are really excited about that!

Next weekend we will plant summer squash, tomatoes, peppers, probably lots of other things I'm forgetting right now.

We have a lot more help this year as well - last year it ended up about 3 of us doing all the work but this year I think more people will stick around.

There is an interesting phenomenon, though. People will not accept the free vegetables - I think it's because they don't know how to cook them. Especially the families with children do not accept them, and one family even claimed they do not eat vegetables! Most of the people working on the garden are mid-20s folks (including myself and my fiancee). I'm thinking of trying a few cooking classes with the garden veggies but I'm not sure if folks will come...

Anyway - we are super excited about the garden this year as it's going to be bigger and better! We live in Northwest Arkansas so the weather is a bit unpredictable, hoping for rain and warm temperatures.

I'll post pictures throughout the season if I remember!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Mmiesse,

Wow, you are all having a great time, it sounds like!! :-)
    I started vegetable gardening when I was almost 30yrs old. Had only had houseplants up to that point. I've enjoyed growing vegetables for a LONG time now and it just never gets old.

It is kind of startling to think some people actually don't eat vegetables. Amazing! I imagine as with anything else, if you are excited about it and can make it a success, other people will 'catch the bug'. I think you are right, if people knew how good vegetables can taste in certain dishes, they would be looking for them.

Here in New England the weather has not been the greatest so far this year, but it will all straighten out pretty soon. We are getting rain right now. Temps have been in the 40s and a few 50s, and we're due for 4 days of 60s and then back into the 50s. Not exactly May weather, but at least we are getting enough rain to start the season off on the right foot.

I think all of you who work the garden will have a delicious season! Will love to see photos as you go along.

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

It's a shame that you say no one will eat the produce.

My neighbor snow plowed my drive way all winter because of the insane amount of cherry tomatoes he'd get to eat from my garden. My neighbors are dying to have me grow their favorite veggies again this year so they can reap the benefits. One went so far as to collect compost in her back yard for me to use.

Maybe with time people will grow accustomed to the fresh produce and will see what a blessing it is that you're growing all this food!

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of what we're working on now. We plan to add a similar-size bed to the right of the current.

The concrete blocks area is where we'll plant squash - last year it was divided in two spaces with a gap in the middle for some silly reason. This year we a using the space much more efficiently.

(Turns out I do not know how/cannot flip the photo. Sorry!)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

You can just click on the photo and it will open in a new window in the correct position.

Looks like you're getting ready for the season. Having double the space will be great! I see you already have chives coming up.

We're building new beds this spring and haven't got them filled yet, but hope to this weekend. Spring garden is late. Look forward to see another photo when the 2nd bed is ready to go and when you have it all planted.

:-)

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

just read through this thread for the first time - one of the things that is so great about these forums is when people follow up over time and a thread actually continues in "garden time" which is slower than typical "internet time." ;)

very inspiring to see your community garden mmiesse! well done. keep updating us!

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all. We are on our second season of this community garden and I must say...we have more production but unfortunately this year's garden is far more unorganized than last year. Lots of plants did not grow in our raised bed, but those in the in-ground bed are doing great!

I have a couple of questions I'll get out of the way first:

1) If anybody has any suggestions for how to build a permanent structure (and what materials to use) for our trellising AND so we can cover it to create a makeshift winter garden. Last year, we propped up some thick plastic with some items and rocks, and lots of greens grew very well! We want to try this again, but figure we may as well create a more permanent, multi-use structure for this project.

2) Any suggestions in general for use of space? I realize the middle of the raised bed does not have well-used space. We planted items there but they did not grow. Dormant seeds? Maybe.

3) What items grow well that might be good for a community garden? Any specific varieties? I am thinking we should do potatoes sometime - when should we plant those?

PS: Sorry, our garden does not necessarily look nice, but I am focusing right now on learning how to grow. After that I will start to spruce up the look of my future gardens!

Here's the garden update for those who wish to know!

We have an abundance of squash bugs this year, but we are planning to pull up our summer squash plants this weekend and plant new ones for the fall.

Our tomatoes are doing great and are FINALLY ripening in this cool weather we've had this year.

Some things we cannot get to grow super well this year: Broccoli (had trouble with it last year) and peppers (problems this year only).

What is in our garden this year: tomatoes, peppers, snap peas, kale, chard, various other greens, basil, green beans (bush), cucumber, watermelon (not doing well), cantaloupe, lettuce, chives, walking onions, loofa squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash, chives, malbar spinach, strawberries (obv. not producing anymore), eggplant (not groing well this year for some reason), okra, rosemary (a tiny bit), thyme, radishes

We tried various things this year. We planted our spaghetti squash, cantaloupe and watermelon (just 1 plant) in an untreated pallet. We have a lot more trellised items this year.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure how to post multiple photos so I guess I will post a few more here. Sorry! If somebody can help me figure this out that would be great - I have tried to find out how but am not sure.

Spaghetti squash pallet. Damn squash bugs! This is on the west side.

This post was edited by mmiesse on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 14:50

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Summer squash and tomatoes.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some things did not grow well here. Once again, sorry about each individual photo post. :(

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tomatoes, cucumbers, loofa squash at the end.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Loofa squash, tomatoes, iris

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

Thanks for updating us! Weather definitely affects the garden tremendously. I had a cold June and it wiped out half of my cucumbers. Last year I had tons. I love all the pics!

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I'd love to see this thread updated. Really interesting. Fun read too.

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

This is a great thread. It is inspiring to me as a new gardener to see progress. I love the pictures. I am wondering if you are winter gardening this year?
    kim

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

This thread is awesome, to walk through two seasons of your adventure was really cool. One thing I would suggest is to keep things as tidy as possible, on that line I was wondering what the purpose of the pallet is? Sorry but it looks kind of like it was discarded and something grew up out of it. I also have to wonder if there is any possibility that it could be providing some cover for your squash bug problem.

I hope none of that sounded negative because I truly do believe what you have created there is nothing short of amazing and wish that you not only had a great harvest this year but spend the winter mulling ideas on how to make it even more grand next year.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The area where you mentioned things did not grow well. It looks like there is a walk path through there, I personally think it is important to define walking areas in the garden and try to always use them. One might imagine that in a community garden this would be doubly difficult as not everyone will understand the importance of preventing compaction in the rootzone which for some plants can be quite large.

Not sure if that contributed to the growing problem for that area but worth a thought.

Again, wonderful work and you deserve every bit of the applause and praise given in this thread for your efforts of not only providing healthy food for yourself but others too and to top it off learning together and showing others how to do just that. Kudos...

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nexev,

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions!

The pallet was an experiment. We tried growing a few things out of it, some squash, lettuce, herbs. But it didn't work out. Mostly we are trying to find a way for the mowers to definitely not mow over our plants.

I think next year we might just take apart the pallet and create a little in-ground bed with pallet-wood border.

I was intending to have a winter garden this year, but I sprained my ankle a month ago and haven't been able to do anything in the garden just yet. Our lavender, garlic, chives, cilantro and onions are still growing strong. However, after today's drop in temperature from 70 yesterday to 25 today does not bode well for the survivors.

I will try to continue this thread as year 3 progresses - it's quite fun to look back at the progress!

Again, thank you everybody for your support and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

You could use the pallet wood to make several small planters say 18" square and 8 or 12" tall. Set these out as corners to 'protect' the enclosed area you want to plant in. Thinking of something like the steel poles in front of stores to keep cars from driving in. Maybe that would give the mowers the hint and allow you to claim a larger space with the limited material.

Be aware though that pallets can be notoriously stubborn about coming apart. Many use a screw type or twisted nail that make them quite durable in their function but not so friendly about being repurposed.

• eloise_ca
    9 years ago

Fantastic comments and great gardening! Mmiesse, don't apologize for the multiple posting of photos. With GW's image uploads, you can only add one picture per post. I use Photobucket when I want to post multiple photos in one post, and it's free.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Gorgeous garden -- love how filled in and vibrant it all is.

In addition to the actual garden updates, I would love to hear about the team work that gets it all done and the sharing of the food that results. The fact that it is a shared garden is just as impressive as the photos.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elisa_Z5 (And everyobody else),

It's been an interesting journey in these two short years with the teamwork.

Our first year, we had about 5-7 folks help out consistently (there are probably over 100 people in our complex). As with almost any group, the number was steady around 3 who showed up to help every time. That can be disheartening; though, perhaps I am not a great leader in this aspect because I am often okay with just getting things done myself, haha.

We have had some struggles repeated each year - the biggest is our ability to create/build structures. All of the contributors are lacking in the 'building things' department, and some of us don't have a lot of time to dedicate to finding affordable materials. We also live in an apartment complex, so power tools are few and far between.

That said, we have had some wonderful help in getting structures created. The first year, our landlord provided the raised bed and the wonderful soil/mushroom compost. Our soil was so healthy, and there are trees near the garden bed so leaves compost in it during the winter.

The second year, a new neighbor and one of our most involved gardeners had her father come over with his tiller, some tools and supplies to create the wood-lined beds around the raised bed. The soil was tough, but this 3rd year should be better as we've worked it now and added some nutrients with our plants.

All of us who are gardening have only been doing so since the garden began. I grew up helping my mother but I am sad to admit I was not invested in it. It was such a happy surprise to my parents when I started to care about such activities as gardening. Because of this, we have experienced these problems:
    - Overcrowded gardens
    - Ill-planned planting
    - Planting too much (one person thought you put about 8 seeds per hole, so he had MANY tomato plants sprouting up)
    - Poorly built or a lack of structures for vining
    - Lack of consistent help and money

Surprisingly, though maybe not really, most of the people who live here do not pick and eat the food. This could be because they have not helped, but I also believe it's because they don't know how to cook the food. I would like to teach a cooking class, but honestly don't have lots of time and am not sure I could get anybody to come!

We have some hopes and dreams for the garden:
    - Create a functional winter space. Because of our structure-building issue we have not managed to create something stable. In the past I have had small success with some sort of wooden sides and covered in painters tarp/heavy plastic. Though this is not ideal health-wise (plastic never is) it works well. Unfortunately, I just do not have the finesse to build one that could function, say, as a vining wall during the summer and sides for the winter garden during the cold season.

- I need to plan better. I really, really need to do that! The first year was great, but this year we had more people and more opinions...and I am not great at decision-making.

- I would like to create a bigger garden. I want to have a space where kids can grow their own stuff; a space for experimental plants; a space for vining plants

- I have thought about, if we end up with lots of extra produce, selling a bit of it on the bike trail (we live next to it) to raise money to purchase structures and supplies

- We DO save our own seeds, but it would be nice to have a place to store them besides my own home - I think not having a universal shed or storage location kind of makes it seem like everybody has to come to me with questions or to do anything in the garden. Is that a bad thing? Maybe not, because I suppose somebody does need to be 'in charge' - especially when you have a single plot that everybody works on, not individual spaces.

Overall, this experience has been wonderful and I hope to learn more, gain lots of skills and continue this wherever I go.

Any tips, suggestions, structure-building thoughts, anything is welcome. You have a pretty good idea of what our area looks like - so any thoughts on expansion and the like are great.

Thanks for paying attention to this thread, folks! It's been nice watching this develop over time.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello again!

I thought I'd continue updating you all on our garden. We're now in year 3, and I think this is our most organized garden yet! I'm so happy to see how it goes, though I am a bit afraid that not all my seeds will sprout and they got a bit too warm on top of my toaster oven (Whoops!). However, we have backup plans in place so no worries.

Here are some photos of our garden, an a link to our garden plan! Let me know your feedback, questions, anything really. This has been so much fun and our community of gardeners is growing slowly but surely.

Here is the link to the garden plan. Let me know if it does not work (the link, not the plan) :)!

• Anne Wolfley
    8 years ago

I think what you're doing is awesome, and I'm very excited that you have persisted! I love gardening so much, and am so happy to see gardens in apartment communities. Good luck this summer!

• Humsi
    8 years ago

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and being able to watch your community garden from the beginning. How I would have loved to have had something like this when we were apartment dwellers. This year's garden looks absolutely beautiful, what a great job you've done.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you much, @annew21 and @Humsi!

• elisa_z5
    8 years ago

Looking great -- again :). And I was very interested to (finally) read your account of the garden "dynamics" (somehow missed it when you first posted it.)

Some brainstorming (which may have nothing to do with reality, but here goes):

You said you save your own seed (and that you're relatively new at this) so just wanted to mention -- you didn't save squash seed that was just left out in the open to be pollinated, did you? Just a thought (they always hybridize and usually turn out crummy -- best to use store bought seed).

Really like your idea about a kid's section -- yet I'll add that I've been able to garden with my grand kids, ages 2 and 3, just with plenty of guidance. They're great at planting large seeds like peas, or root crops like onion sets, gently placing starts into holes, watering.

And about the fact that folks don't pick and eat the food -- would a simple sign that says something along the lines of "Like what you see? Wish you could have some? Come work with us Saturday at 9, and take home the bounty!" And/or a sheet with a recipe on it -- used to do that for a CSA.

Thanks for the update and pics! And so glad to hear you're off to a great start.

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@elisa_z5

All great suggestions and kind words, thank you! I like the idea of the sign...I do have one up in the mail room, but I think you're right that one by the garden would be best.

As for the squash seeds, I did not save any last year, but I do typically save my seeds. I didn't know that about squash - are there other seeds that shouldn't be saved?

• elisa_z5
    8 years ago

other seeds that shouldn't be saved? I'm not a seed expert, so I'm not sure. I know that lettuce, mache, arugula and many of the other cabbage family crops do just fine for self seeding. Beans should be kept separated by distance (don't remember how much)from other types if you want them to come true, but I think they turn out just fine even if they cross pollinate. It seems that it's mostly the squash family that has that bad reputation for being promiscuous and turning out weird (often bad tasting.)

• mmiesse
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@illiveggies

Very interesting! Thank you! Your program sounds awesome - I hope it's successful for you. I will definitely utilize this plan for learning purposes!

• illiveggies
    8 years ago

@mmiesse - let me know if you end up creating an account - I can transition this plan to your account. Its free for this season. The account will provide you with the list of activities and weekly email reminders.

• illiveggies
    8 years ago

@mmiesse - how has the season been? If you have been tracking your harvests, would love to see how much you harvested.