SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Black Plastic question

rjinga
15 years ago

I am considering trying to us this black plastic in a 40 x 30 garden spot, I just want to put it down at the right time.

Last year I had some bermuda (the bermuda got into the first foot of the bed) grass sneek into the perimeter of my garden spot. I plan to spray for it and try also the solarization process to get rid of it. (not in that order). We also tilled this garden about a month or so ago and widened it some.

Will black plastic have any effect on it? good or bad? I'd absolutely die if I put down expensive black plastic only to have the bermuda get into it.

We have has a good bit of rain recently and also a few weeks back and I have NOT seen any new grass growing (just other grass that is easy to pull and doesnt do what the bermuda does.

Also once I have the black plastic down, will it be okay to cover it with mulch? I intend to anchor it down with landscape timbers and have a HUGE pile of FREE mulch/composted material that I can cover it with. I will also plan to use drip lines to water everything.

I will have tomatoes, okra, peppers, corn, squash, melons and eggplant in this bed.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus