SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeitsjulee

Decorative Fencing, Neighbor Issues

weeitsjulee
12 years ago

The owners of the small lot next door to us have decided to demolish their abandoned-for-10-years home, and bring in a 50x52' single wide. This is all fine and dandy, however... because of the size of the lot, the trailer had to be FACING MY PROPERTY in order to fit on the lot.

{{gwi:34209}}

The privacy that I have come to enjoy for the past three years is gone. (I haven't had neighbors the entire time I've lived in my home and it has been great!) The owner's daughter is moving in with her 4 young boys. I lay out in my bathing suit sometimes, and let the dog out in my nightgown. I do not like the idea of having to cover up every time I go outside... The picture below is the view of my back yard.

{{gwi:34210}}

My husband and I have decided that we are going to build an 8ft fence in the back to get our privacy back. Inside that fence we will be planting Leyland Cypress trees and other evergreens to eventually cover the view that the fence will not block out. (They will be able to stare out the top of their windows at my back deck where I spend a LOT of time.)

{{gwi:34211}}

My issue is what to do with the front of our home? I'm not worried about privacy there, because I do not spend any time in the front of the house. I would, however, like to clearly establish a natural "fence" that would not allow her children to play in my yard. I don't want an actual wooden fence in the front because I don't want to feel like I'm living in a compound!

The biggest issue is that I have a very "thin" amount of space to grow something in. As you can see in the picture, my property line extends up the hill past my hosta bed (to the right, the stake with the orange flag), and about a foot and a half onto the upper part of the property. I basically need a hedge that I can grow in that foot-and-a-half worth of space!

{{gwi:34212}}

I'd prefer it to be fast growing, and it MUST be evergreen. I live in Zone 7, in the central part of northern NC. Usually acidic soil, but I haven't tested it in that spot. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! THANKS!!!

Comments (15)