SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Best bets for broad-spectrum critter fencing

alabamanicole
14 years ago

I've just moved into a new house after being stuck in an apartment all last year, and I am ready to get dirt under my fingernails.

The new place, though, is possitively swarming with critters. Rats, mice, squirrels, coyotes, eagles, hawks, owls, rabbits, loose-running dogs, moles, voles, tons of birds, woodchucks and no doubt much more I haven't seen yet. I think I have solved the problem of the loose-running dogs by plugging the gaps under the chain link fence with bricks. The hawks, eagles and owls are most welcome.

I suspect my biggest problems with the veggie garden will be the rabbits (by the dozen) and the woodchuck who took a stroll through my yard the other day. The chain link fence might keep him out now... but there's a large rose hedge taking over part of the fence and anything could be under that, including his burrow. My dog has christened every corner of the yard now and that has cut down some on visitations, but she's too small to be out with coyotes and besides she'd bark her head off. And it's a suburb, so I can't shoot them.

Sooooo...

This year's garden spot is an experiment -- eventually I'll find the best spot and go with raised beds and more permanent protection, and garden year-round. This year, I was thinking I'd use partially buried chicken wire in the widest width I can find.

Anyone have a better solution for this kind of temporary garden that will be the most likely to succeed against the kind of arsenal I am up against?

Comments (11)