SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Mid-Atlantic Gardeners: Mulch and slugs?

sunnibel7 Md 7
14 years ago

Hi! I've been gardening here in Va. for 7 years now (started with flowers for a couple years before tackling vegetables), and it's a very different thing than in Upstate NY, where I grew up! One thing that's really different is the SIZE and number of slugs down here! They are really... huge... and prolific. And for the longest time I thought I was lettuce-challenged because I couldn't seem to start this easiest of vegetables from seed in the garden. Of course it turned out that Va. slugs are just that much better at finding and eating the emerging seedlings than their NY countparts.

So, for years I've been afraid to mulch my veggie garden for fear of providing a haven for these monstrous invertebrates right next to my beloved veggies. Still, every summer I imagine a nice layer of cooling, moisture-retaining mulch to help my garden through the baking heat. So, do others of you around here use mulch in the vegetable garden? Do you get slug problems? I really would be grateful to know your experiences!

Sunni

Comments (8)