SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19715213

Seed Starting - What are we doing wrong?

User
11 years ago

Two years in row my wife and I have tried starting seeds inside to help ensure a good start to the growing season. Last year we think we started too late, so everything was tiny when it got transplanted. This year we started seeds in mid February, but most seedlings are still pretty small. We used a seed starting mix and we've been very careful to water them appropriately. Three weeks ago I started using Miracle-Gro's "Quick Start - Planting and transplant starting solution" (4-12-4). We indeed saw some growth, but not as much as I would have expected for 3 weeks. (I was very careful about mixing according the the instructions on the bottle - 1 cap per gallon.) Some of the plants (tomatoes, beans, peppers and basil) seemed healthy until they were transplanted, and I'll admit that transplanting can be a little rough, but there were few roots holding the soil together. Nothing like the plants I'd get from the nursery. The flowers we planted from seed are leggy with long stems (1-2") and 4 leaves each. None of them are able to stand up on their own (dianthus, scabiosa, & carnation). What in the world are we doing wrong? I guess I'll have to go back to direct sow gardening ...

Thanks!

Comments (8)