SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Want: 'Issai' Kiwi, Have: Two Very Cool Aristolochias, etc.

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

Hi, to make a long story short: Earlier this year I found a kiwi seedling (A. deliciosa) in my mom's yard. Given space considerations and the fact we would have needed both sexes, I removed it and potted it up. Recently I bought what I was told was Actinidia arguta 'Issai'--which would be a good, although not perfect solution to both the space and two sexes problem. However, the nursery has since admitted that it is actually A. deliciosa. So I'm looking for 'Issai' cuttings--rooted or unrooted.

Two of the best things I have for trade are two Aristolochia species: A. gigantea (the typical form, not A. brasiliensis) and A. trilobata. Here's a picture of the A. trilobata mother plant (not mine) showing the ~1 foot "tails":

http://www.alsgh.com/serveimage.php?key=94

Both Aristolochias are recently rooted cuttings (these can be tough to root). I should have a picture of my A. gigantea mother plant's blooms in a week or two.

I also have:

Alyogyne hakeifolia (unrooted cuttings--supposed to be easy to root. Probably also seeds soon). This is a plant formerly classified as a Hibiscus. It is striking with needle-like foliage and yellow tulip-like flowers (with some red inside).

Brugmansia 'Dr. Seuss' (unrooted cuttings)

Cerinthe major purpurascens (lots of seeds)

Epiphyllum chrysocardium (rooted cutting)

Passiflora edulis (these are tiny, tiny seedlings of store bought fruit--I should have big enough plants for cuttings of 'Frederick' and 'Nancy Garrison' clones next year.

Passiflora âÂÂLavender LadyâÂÂ. Very floriferous. This one bloomed 2 months after the cutting was made, sitting in a window that doesnâÂÂt get any sunlight. HereâÂÂs the actual cutting--itâÂÂs been outside and put on vegetative growth since then. You are looking at the entire plant. Hardy to 20 F, apparently. P. caerulea is one of the parents.

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m393/mark43210/?action=view&current=Lavender_5_1-1.jpg

And *hopefully* soon--not yet except for the one kiwi:

Solanum pyracanthum. Beautiful thorns, poisonous fruit. In bud, hopefully IâÂÂll have fruit and seeds relatively soon.

Solanum quitoense (Naranjilla) National fruit of Ecuador--âÂÂnectar of the godsâÂÂ. Hopefully the plant will be big enough later in the year to take cuttings.

And of course, I have two Actinidia deliciosa, of unclear gender. I can take cuttings of one now, the other soon(?). I understand a male can act as a pollinator for 'Issai' and increase yields. They are also very ornamental.

email me at looking4plants@yahoo.com

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus