SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Path: Thin layer of crushed gravel on compact clay?

jenn
12 years ago

Still working on the path in our side yard....

Now we're considering just tossing a thin layer of crushed stone/gravel on top of the compacted clay (very compacted, after years of treading) in a strip leading from our patio to the garage. NOTE: I'm not talking about pea gravel, the round stones that don't compact. I'm referring to small crushed gravel about the size of pea gravel and smaller but with sharper edges.

I've seen several photos of paths like this -- they look similar to a well-worn hiking path -- very natural, casual, easy to construct, and inexpensive. The layer of gravel is very thin, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch and in some places the soil shows through. We would edge this path with field stones.

We understand the disadvantages -- weeds allowed to poke through, and gravel possibly tracked in the house -- but the area is easy to hoe and we have a path of DG in the front yard and haven't yet seen it tracked into the house.

Has anyone made a path like this with good long-term results? When we go to the materials yard, what material should we ask for?

Comments (13)