SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

landscaping ideas for 'dead space', Ice plant info?

grullablue
12 years ago

We've slowly been putting in a deck on the back of our house. We have an area alongside it that is now ready for landscaping, but I have NO idea what to do with it!

It's a small area, not really functional for anything, and it's also too small to mow with our riding mower, we'd have to pull the weed whacker out, or a push mower (we don't use one)...and hubby and I have differing ideas on what to do with this space. It's only big enough to perhaps put a small charcoal grill on...but I'd rather just landscape it with something that eventually may drown out weeds. But it's right between the deck and a rock wall.

Hubby's idea: landscape fabric and rocks. YUCK!

This is why I'm trying to come up with a plan quickly!

I've got two ideas... Pachysandra I think it's called...but my favorite...is ice plant (delosperma). Anyone know much about it? I'm reading up about it...the foliage seems to me more like sedum actually, with beautiful purple or pink (and they have yellows too) flowers...I like the purple ice plant myself. Evergreen, it looks like... but I'm getting conflicting information, some say it's suitable in my zone (5), and some say 6 and higher. Could perhaps throw a few other things in there too...small shrubs....but I really want to cover this area up, really, no one would see it, unless you looked off the side of the deck. It's in the back yard, not facing any roads...it's not going to be highly visible at all. Back of the house faces south, but the deck will block the late afternoon sun.

I have a pic, will share. Thanks for any input! So many projects here, my head is spinning....

{{gwi:30934}}

Comments (3)