SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldives_gw

Front garden beds and improving street appeal

meldives
9 years ago

I recently purchased my first house :) There are two garden beds at the front of the house, but other than a Fuchsia and a Hydrangea they are a blank canvas. I would also like to remove both of these if I can.

The garden beds get good sun for pretty much all day. They start to be in shadow from about 5pm at this time of the year.

Ultimately I'd like a garden with year round interest - some shrubs and flowers. I don't really want anything that is going to grow taller than the fences - 3ft to the front, 4ft to the sides. Some scent would be nice too. I'm probably asking the impossible! I'm on the west coast of Ireland and I'm not familiar with what grows here and gardening doesn't seem as popular as it in Australia (where I am from)- a lot of houses don't even have front gardens. Suggestions and layout ideas would be fantastic.

The garden beds currently have pebbles which you can see. I think I'd like to remove these and ultimately have bark. There is a layer of plastic underneath the pebbles. What sort of preparation will I need to do the soil before starting?

Finally, I'd like to improve the street appeal - my house is the only one with a fence out the front. On the agenda for the summer is painting the house and I'm thinking about getting some big window planter boxes made up for the windows. What about something that I could grow on the front side of the fence - I don't want ivy or anything like that. Also the front side of the fence really only gets the morning sun.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Melissa

Comments (10)