SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Lettuce & salad greens bed

slashy
16 years ago

Hi all, I'm hoping some of the lettuce enthusiasts in the lettuce varieties thread will chime in here!

I live in a frost-free climate where it is currently mid-Autumn, and I'm hoping to establish a bit of a salad & leafy greens bed if I can. There's an existing garden bed at the side of the house that has excellent access to water but only gets about 2-3 hours of sunlight per day (less as the winter progresses I expect). Is it at all plausible that I could grow things like lettuce, mizuna, tatsoi, rocket etc here? I'd also like to fill it up with silverbeet, rapini, a few varieties of chinese cabbage etc. I guess I'm just wondering if any of these shade-tolerant veggies would tolerate quite that much shade.

If it's not possible to grow anything there in winter I imagine it'll still be useful come summer, when it'll be getting more like 4 hours of morning sun.

Also I'd love to know any tips on prepping the soil to plant in- I've never done a dedicated 'greens' bed before, any specific tips or tricks? I imagine I could get away with more heavy nitrogen feeding here than in a mixed veggie bed, for instance.

The whole idea is to be growing as much 'green stuff' as possible as I have many housemates who would love to be eating from the garden, and leaves are faster & easier than roots or fruits to produce in bulk... or so I've found to be the case.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County