SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmambo

Help! Paver Sidewalk Cut-out: Erosion Problems. Retaining Wall?

mrmambo
13 years ago

Hi:

I've posted a separate entry in this forum regarding my sidewalk pavers:

http://bit.ly/bMnELU

Long story short:

I pulled-up and re-laid 18" hex concrete pavers on our city sidewalk due to cracked/broken pavers, uneven surface, etc. It's a sloping hill there, about 4-5%.

As part of this, I had to narrow the sidewalk around a mature pecan tree. I reduced the width there from 6' to 3' to accommodate roots. This left a 3-foot by 15-foot bed around the tree (around 7.5' on either side of the tree). I mulched this area and planted it with hostas and liriope. (shady area)

The problem came with the rain yesterday--I didn't have any kind of border next to the sidewalk pavers. The rain came down the hill, washed-out the mulch, and eroded the sand under some of the pavers, thus compromising the sidewalk.

The question is--can I simply install a wooden border next to the pavers, such as a 1x4 rail or do I need to build a retaining wall and make a level, rather than sloping, bed around the tree to prevent wash-out?

Thanks--rapid replies appreciated, as the rain is returning in a few days!

-Mark-

1. Problem AreaÂFlooded, Before Resetting Pavers

{{gwi:20858}}

2. SidewalkÂAfter Resetting Pavers, Looking Down (pavers at tree were raised subsequent to this photo)

{{gwi:20859}}

3. SidewalkÂAfter Resetting Pavers, Looking Up (pavers at tree were raised subsequent to this photo)

{{gwi:20861}}

4. Plan (Note: bed around tree expanded during construction due to addl. tree roots discovered; now it's approx 3'x15')

5. Sidewalk after rain: mulch washed-out, bed sand at end{{gwi:20880}}

6. Sidewalk after rain: top edge, sand & dirt
{{gwi:20882}}

7. Sidewalk after rain: side edge, erosion, compromised pavers
src=http://homepage.mac.com/bigmark/Sidewalk_Drainage/DSC_0003_2.jpg>;

8. Compromised paver
{{gwi:20885}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!