SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

Three Sisters & deer

brass_tacks
15 years ago

I understand that deer don't like the fuzzy vines of the squash plant. In the past I have covered anything the deer might bother with a black net fabric (from the fabric store). It worked perfectly, but I'll have to buy another bolt of the fabric and just don't want to spend the money or tend the nets. I'm looking for other ideas.

Tell me what you think. I will be using an egg and water spray on everything, but think the young corn plants and corn ears would be too tempting for the deer not to eat anyway. The Three Sisters companion planting idea came to mind. I thought I would plant squash all around the corn plants. Instead of planting just a few corn plants on the top of a flattened mound, I would plant several circular rows with about 8" between the corn plants and about 12" between the rows and plant the squash everywhere outside these circular corn kind of plantings. So that the entire area would be a fuzzy walk for the deer. :) The squash will somewhat help the moisture from evaporating real fast and hopefully the deer won't like walking through lots of fuzzy vines.

This is my first year plant vegs. I would be so proud of myself if I could grow some corn.

Fencing isn't an option for me -- unless it would be something around each grouping of corn plantings.

Thank you so much.

Brass

Comments (16)