SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

How to find a GOOD landscape designer & questions

loralee_2007
16 years ago

My DH & I finished our owner-build new house and moved "home" in Sept 07. We are in Canada, and Sept was too late to consider sod landscaping, but now that Spring has arrived we need to finish our yard which is currently dirt (ick) except for our sidewalk.

I am NOT a garden person at ALL and have no idea even where to start, which is why we need a landscape designer. But how do I find one? What I worry is that I will have to pay up front only to hate what they've come up with, and then what?

And what fee can I expect? We are on a small 50'x100' city corner lot so there's not alot to work with considering our house footprint is 26x36, with a 10' sidewalk setback and a separate garage on the property as well.

I know I want some hardscaping in the backyard and want "low maintenance" greenage in the front, and a side deck/BBQ area. But I also want to ensure we have re-saleability.

Can anybody give me suggestions how to find a qualified person, what to ask them, and how much to expect? Oh, and if they do the design, do I HAVE to buy through them or can I source for my own plants etc?

As you can tell, I've never done this so any expert advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Lora

Comments (12)