SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_wench

Zone 6, Front and side of house, need new planting help- pics

garden_wench
18 years ago

We have removed old, overgrown shrubs and now I need help on what to plant as replacements. The front of house faces east and the corner of is east - northeast. So it gets morning sun but shade in afternoon. The yews around light post will be removed next year. There are 3 holly shrubs between sidewalk and house that are healthy. I am thinking smaller evergreen and deciduous shrubs in bare area next to driveway, with perennials and maybe 1 or 2 ornamental grasses like Karl Foerster. The sad little rosebud azaleas in that area will be removed, the 1-2 survivors will be moved some where else.

The front of house: it had two tall cone shaped shrubs flanking front door, should I get similar tall, narrow shrub or something more rounded. Front, left side, I had two small hollies die there, possibly spider mite infestation so I'm looking for some thing hardy. Trying to avoid thorns and sharp leaved plants.

I guess I need mostly help with heights and form of plants for a given area. Possibly enlarging planting area near front door. I can't really rip out or re-surface sidewalk. And the ratty carpeting on front step will be going. Tell me what you honestly think, I can take it. Thanks!

ps Color of house or shutters won't be changing.

front of house

{{gwi:26757}}

front left side

{{gwi:26758}}

sideviews

{{gwi:26759}}

{{gwi:26760}}

Comments (5)