SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Too much choice = unhappy...LD theme?

Frankie_in_zone_7
18 years ago

Don't pile on me if this is too much like an older thread, which I could not find just now....

On news was report, supposedly of a study, that in almost every area, more choices lead to less happiness, and the explosion of choices today has caused more unhappiness, because so many of the options have some good features so each one not taken represents a kind of loss. (Although I could not tell from report if they controlled adequately for a confounding variable of the personality type that perceives or seeks out choices).

I have certainly been aware of experiencing some of that myself, most with regard to home ownership,and some remodeling, and the Internet, and my own experience with...so many options, so many things to research before making a move... I don't want to even KNOW anymore what some of the options are. I don't want to have another store, another website, another cultivar, to check out. I don't think I want to know anymore what I might have had, but didn't get.

Threads, "Just because you can" and "design constraints" and even some of the recent discussions of dissatisfaction by posters and responders...is the downside of choice part of a common theme holding some of this together? Maybe the obvious pro perspective is that part of their training, and temperament if they are successful, is how to MANAGE choice in the design process, and this is a subtle subtext that can't be appreciated by me, usually, plus other amateurs, and help-me posts. An invisible part of the design process that can make the difference between being happy or not with the design, or the advice. Of course, one choice that amateurs struggle with is, if I did hire a pro, how to choose..... And of course, the act of seeking someone else's feedback is asking for more choices.

Not only is nothing ever "good enough" , if subjected to whole-forum review, but even if someone hires a pro, posts the design, even I might pile on and say, whoa, that looks okay, but what about your other CHOICES?

And, if a post gives a few operating conditions, someone might say, hey wait, there's a lot more to it than that, need more data. Is it because we are looking for more limits within which to operate more comfortably, as well as more responsibly, or is it because we are rejecting someone else's limits as too limiting, hoping to make him more happy by showing that there are more choices?

Should there be a warning--"you might get a better design, but getting it MIGHT NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY." Should there be even more focus on constraints early in the design process and less on brainstorming not only because it may make design sense, but because it leads to more satisfaction with the resulting design? I already commented on the Haywards limiting themselves to terracotta pots and teak furniture in their garden. Unity, but also, one area of choice controlled, decisions are simplified even that little bit, determine to be happy with it and not fret?

Should I just put myself in restraints now?

Comments (18)